Got a new hybrid it’s better than my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd fit some ski-slope bar ends.
I've gone right off mountain bikes. I prefer the classic road bikes with lots of aluminium or chrome to polish and shine.

The Allez is either the wrong size or it’s just badly setup for you.
Or it could be (there are certain hints in their initial post) that - shock horror probe call the rules rapid response squad - the OP has come to the conclusion that they personally don't like drops.

On the OP's
>>I feel I get the need to go fast on my allez so maybe I’m tiring to soon

I used to ride a flat bar fast city bike - it had road gearing - so much so that I very rarely got it in to top gear - after a while I did have the impression that the gearing encouraged/almost forced me to ride faster - which could be an issue on longer rides.

I'd guess that the gearing on the OP's hybrid could be different from their Allez and that this could be a factor in their preference.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Over longer distance hands and arms are less likely to go numb compared to a hybrid as the drop bar has 4 hand positions to break monotony.
No correctly-fitted bike places enough pressure on the hands or arms to cause numbness. Although sometimes if you tire, you might be putting weight on your arms instead of supporting yourself with your core muscles, especially on more aggressively-positioned bikes.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No correctly-fitted bike places enough pressure on the hands or arms to cause numbness. Although sometimes if you tire, you might be putting weight on your arms instead of supporting yourself with your core muscles, especially on more aggressively-positioned bikes.
Yes, 100%. In fact I'd go as far as to say a correctly fitted bike will not be the cause of aches, numbness or pains.

Sharky

Guru
Compare the positions of the two bikes. The flat bar position, should not be that much different from the drop bar bike when holding the brake hoods.
Saddle positions, relative to the bottom bracket should be the same, re height & set back..

Good luck

Compare the positions of the two bikes. The flat bar position, should not be that much different from the drop bar bike when holding the brake hoods.
Saddle positions, relative to the bottom bracket should be the same, re height & set back..

Good luck
For comparison of points of contact, i compare or plot a simple graph with [x:y] = [0:0] at the bottom bracket. Go up and forward to bars, up and rear to saddle nose.
Bikes can vary in bb height, tube angles etc.

Sharky

Guru
For comparison of points of contact, i compare or plot a simple graph with [x:y] = [0:0] at the bottom bracket. Go up and forward to bars, up and rear to saddle nose.
Bikes can vary in bb height, tube angles etc.
I use a plumb line over the bottom bracket and a ruler to get the approx set back of the saddle. And a metre rule from the pedals to top of saddle (cranks can be different lengths), along the line of the seat tube. All rough measures. But gets the set up roughly right, then fine tweak based on feel after riding.

Lovacott

Über Member
I use a plumb line over the bottom bracket and a ruler to get the approx set back of the saddle.

I do it by trial and error.

I initially set the saddle height so that I can only just touch the ground with my toes and I have the handlebars set about 40mm lower.

I then make minor adjustments depending upon the pain levels I experience in various parts of my body after an hour or so in the saddle.

It's a rustic method but it seems to work for me?

Ok got a new trek fx 2 flat bar and I’m amazed just done 20 mile bike ride on it no problem best bike I’ve ever had… now slightly confused as my specialized allez I’ve always struggled with, surely that bike should fly I don’t know if it’s the forward leaning which I never got on with or just the more aggressive style frame. I feel I get the need to go fast on my allez so maybe I’m tiring to soon usually after around 10 mile I’ve had enough of leaning forward and start wishing I could sit up more in it. So yes big difference in mileage between the 2 bikes
Is it normal to be able to go more on a hybrid
The road bike if set up right in terms of both components and fit will be faster but if the components aren't right or you're not comfortable you'll be easily faster on the flat bar road bike (assuming it's a flat bar road bike and not a mtb orientated hybrid, even then you still be faster). My suggestion would be to get the Allez serviced and fitted.

Top Bottom