1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a result from a complaint!!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Twenty Inch, 12 Jul 2007.

1. Twenty Inch

Twenty Inch New Member

Had a run-in with a truck driver the other day. No name on the truck but “Mosaic Fashions” on the driver’s polo-shirt. I got the reg and dropped a shirty letter (not email) to the CEO of Mosaic Fashions asking him to have a word with his transport manager. This is what I got back:

Dear Mr. xxx

Thank you for your letter. I am very sorry that had such an unpleasant experience, but I do very much appreciate you bringing this incident to my attention.

I have had our distribution director investigate the background to your letter, and we have interviewed the driver of the vehicle in question. Whilst he has no recollection of the incident, he has asked us to express his personal apologies to you. He is a long-serving member of our driving team, and we regard him as a responsible and reliable member of staff, with no previous history of such incidents.

At Mosaic Fashions we do take our responsibilities ot all sections of society very seriously, and this naturally includes vulnerable road users such as yourself.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, and I regret that you have had the need to do so.

Derek Lovelock
    CEO

Mosaic Fashions are the group behind Karen Millen, Oasis, Priniciples and several other large High St. brands.

I’m rather pleased with this.

TI

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Get a mate to write in and complain. The concerning thing is that he may well get the same letter.

It's horrible I know, but the fact that some transport companies are known to send identical letters out to all complaints makes one never sure whether they have received a genuine one.

3. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

Don't you think it's a bit unfair on the driver if you get a mate to send a false complaint in?

4. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

You dont have to send it in about the same driver.

5. frog

frog Guest

I'd take it at face value. The next time one of us has cause to complain about them we can seen if there is the same reaction. There's nothing to be gained by making a false accusation.

I wonder if we could ask Shaun if we could have a 'Complaints' section where incidents, and the reactions by companies, can be kept. If we see a trend then you could move matters up a couple of notches, but for that you need a string of evidence rather than just a one off and a sneaky suspicion.

6. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

very, very unfair.

if the company do take it seriously, the driver will be getting another ticking off for something he hasn't done.

hang on, am i agreeing with bonj :?: :?:

7. ChrisW

ChrisW Senior Member

Well done, it may have worked,

(Thought my reply was better on Bikeradar but can't be bothered to type it out again! Seems all C+ers are over here)

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

You got a positive and polite reply, I think that it should be taken at face value even if it is a standard letter they send out. It must be a good chance the the driver was advised of the complaint and hopefully it will have the desired affect on his behaviour!!

9. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

No. Because there wouldn't be another driver.

I wrote to a local bus company once about an incident when a driver almost took me out (intentionally) on a roundabout. It was a road used by three routes from the same company, and one of them has a bus every few minutes in the rush hour. I gave no details of the driver or the bus, and no times, except that it was the morning rush hour. There was no way at all that they could have identified the driver, even if they had Secret Squirrel on the case.

I was hoping that they would still be able to take the incident into account with their training despite not knowing the specific driver. But no, I got a letter saying that they had spoken strongly to the driver concerned, and took these incidents very seriously.

A couple of weeks later, a colleague in another office got the same letter, word for word, about a completely different complaint.

10. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I agree with Mr Paul, I complained about a lorry from one of the local quarries. They assured me they ahd spoken to the driver blah blah blah. I gave them no details of the lorry, just it was one of theirs. Standard template bollox I'm afraid.

11. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

A couple of times I've toyed with the idea of sending a complaint letter in to a load of bus companies, so vague that there is no way that they could identify a driver, jsut to see what response I got.

If I got a reply saying that they couldn't identify the driver then fair enough. If they said that they would tighten up training then even better.

It's this standard response which some companies seem to have that I'm more interested in revealing.

12. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

No. Because there wouldn't be another driver.[/quote]
    That doesn't make sense in the context of being an answer to that question. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say when you say there 'wouldn't be 'another driver'.

At the end of the day, even if you know the letter you got to be untrue, you can't assume that that's the same of all bus companies and all complaints.
    If you were a bus company manager, and you got a letter of complaint, what would you do?
    A lot of buses have CCTV on, but why guess - why didn't you write back to the bus company asking them how they'd managed to identify the driver if they didn't have anything specific enough from you to go on?

13. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

That doesn't make sense in the context of being an answer to that question. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say when you say there 'wouldn't be 'another driver'.[/quote]

If the letter was so ambiguous that it was impossible to identify a driver, then no-one would get a rollocking because there wouldn't be another driver.
    Hence the idea of my little research project, in the next post on.
    I'd follow the complaints procedure of the company that I worked for.

I certainly wouldn't pull the same letter out of the template folder on my pc.
    A lot of buses don't have the right CCTV. In Birmingham, the current cameras only cover the inside of the buses.
    Because I knew that they hadn't identified the driver.

14. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

That doesn't make sense in the context of being an answer to that question. I'm not even sure what you're trying to say when you say there 'wouldn't be 'another driver'.[/quote]

If the letter was so ambiguous that it was impossible to identify a driver, then no-one would get a rollocking because there wouldn't be another driver.
    [/quote]
    Well, there wouldn't be ANY driver to rollock if he wasn't identified - never mind another. I don't see where the 'another' comes into it.
    There's either one driver, or none - 'another' implies at least two: one, and then another one.

But, only in YOUR case was the driver not identified. When I was asking about whether it would be fair to which you replied, I was talking about the OP's case, in which he DID give the bus company enough information to identify the driver.

No you wouldn't, you'd probably set a video camera going, call the driver into your office, give him a good rollocking, and send the video of the rollocking to the cyclist in question.

Well surely isn't that for them to explain? Buses are bad enough, don't make excuses for them for god's sake!
    If I was you, I would have written back to them asking how they'd managed to identify him. It's ok to ask a question to which you already know the answer in order to prove a position you hold. The question you really want to ask is "identification would have been impossible yet you claim to have achieved it, so it is obvious to me that you are lying - why have you chosen to lie to me?" but you don't ask that because you don't want them to lose so much face they can claim not to be responding because they find your tone uncivil, so instead you send them a perfectly civil question asking them the question you know they won't (or shouldn't) be able to answer.

15. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

[/quote]
    Well, there wouldn't be ANY driver to rollock if he wasn't identified - never mind another. I don't see where the 'another' comes into it.[/quote]
    You really can be dim cant you?

You wouldn't want to make up a complaint about the same driver who the first letter was about, as it wouldn't be fair on him.

So you write an ambiguous letter. But there wouldn't be another driver to identify, as there wouldn't be another driver.

Now stop being so stupid.
    And now you're lying. You were talking about my my idea of sending a second letter.
    I answered your question. Get over it.
    Nope. It was me remember. And I decided to leave it where it was.