Got a Surly Pacer last week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
P1030294_zpsa7cd7e9e.jpg

Wanted a general riding-around-on sort of bike, bought this that had been hanging around in the LBS for a long time, Surly Pacer Tiagra build.

People, I have a bike with a triple chainset and while I'm not proud of this I am not entirely ashamed.

I'll fit some 'guards shortly, maybe fatter rubber, definitely some softer brake pads. Ultimately some new wheels with a hub dynamo up front.

Feels very nice so far, haven't shaken it down on a long ride yet. Frame could be improved with rack fittings (but for the deal I got I figured I could live with P-clips, although now I'm thinking big saddlebag)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The people that laugh at your triple are generally the same ones you spin past effortlessly a little later, as they mash their pedals and curse compact chainsets.

That's a hella nice bike.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice, don't generally like green much on bikes but that looks quite a pleasant shade, gives it a "vintage" look. "General riding around on sort of a bike" is pushing justification a bit! Why do you need fatter rubber? I would have thought the existing which look to be 28c can handle most stuff In my experience. Enjoy.

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Very nice, don't generally like green much on bikes but that looks quite a pleasant shade, gives it a "vintage" look. "General riding around on sort of a bike" is pushing justification a bit! Why do you need fatter rubber? I would have thought the existing which look to be 28c can handle most stuff In my experience. Enjoy.

The justification runs thus: I have a TT bike (redundant), a 'cross bike (racing and snowy commutes) and my fixed (commuting, shopping and general transport). I like to have something for day rides, commuting the long way, short tours and going places where there are proper hills.

Those Duranos are 23s (really! I even had to go outside and check just now because I doubted myself).

They look fatter in the photo, they ride like 23s.

Top Bottom