Got deep-throated by a fly this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Was on my Hurricane 'bent and had just crossed the A338, heading from Oxenwood towards Great Bedwyn.
After the crossing there's a long straight and steep downhill, so banged the chain onto the 65 tooth chainring and pedalled like the clappers.
I don't use computers, so don't know exactly what speed I was going, but I do know I spin out at 35 mph and I'd spun out 100 yards ago, when a fly shoots up my left nostril, hits the back of my throat with some considerable impact and lodges there. I start to gag and with eyes watering, consider my options: swallow or spit basically.
I'd been waiting ages for this descent, so slowing down or stopping was not an option.
Anyway, after some gagging and tongue wrestling, it got spat out and a black lump shot over my left shoulder.
I wonder if it survived to tell the tale?
I did - just!

Melvil

Uuuurgh! Glad you survived. Having said that, a bee lodged in my helmet yesterday whilst out on the bike and I had a very narrow escape!

Crankarm

Guru
Same happened to me today out running. Spooky. Without thinking I put my finger over t'other nostril and blew like no tommorrow. The fly shot out onto the ground. I stamped on it just to make sure it was dead. When I got home I gave my nose a thorough clean as there is so much dogsh1t in the park the thought of a fly going up my nose made me want to gag.

Why don't you use computers?

Is it against your religion?

It sould tell you how many fly's you Swallocked.

battered

Guru
The same happened to me a while back and I swallowed it reflexively. I don't think it did me any harm but I did feel rather queasy for a good while afterwards while thinking about it.

I wish I could say the same for the wasp that got tangled in my leg hairs last summer. As I was doing about 20mph at the time I didn't have the opportunity to brush it away. It decided unilaterally that it was entirely my fault and stung me before flying off. Bastard.

Keith Oates

Janner
A few summers ago when I was in Wuhu, China, I got bitten or stung on the chest by a dragon fly (I think it was anyway) it was very painful for well over 15 minutes. I'm pleased that didn't go in my mouth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
hackbike 666 said:
Why don't you use computers?

I now look at the countryside and not how fast I'm going.
Made the decision one day a few years back and took them all off all of my bikes.
Completely liberating.
If they could quantify how much fun I'm having (ie a smileometer instead of a mileometer), I might reconsider that decision.

nosherduke996

You were lucky, i was out with the local c.club this morning and i got stung on the tongue by a wasp, or it could have been a bee.
Luckily the ride leader had some anti hystemene tabs and all was o.k

barbie

I had something fly into my nostril and it was very sore for about a week afterwards. I still have no idea what it was. A hazard of one of my many my treks through Bolsover.

Top Bottom