Got myself a bargain on Ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
When I had a custom bike made by the outfit 8 years ago the late, great Bob Jackson was definitely not involved. There were two 'departments' the shop which dealt with customers and the works where bikes were made and painted.

The people in the shop were fine until the bike turned out to have defects after which they became rude and aggressive. Eventually I took the bike to Mercian who got the rear brake to work by putting the brake bosses in the right place! I'd already ditched the expensive 105 STI levers having received an email from the one and only Sheldon Brown explaining why the front change wouldn't work with the MTB chainrings BJ had recommended..

It sounds as if BJ's can't change, either!

P.H

Über Member
Certainly a bargain, hope you get more joy from it than the original owner. When I see such things sold unused I always suspect there's a sad story behind it.
I've never ridden a Dave Yates frame, I've seen his framebuilding exhibition at York Rally a few time, both entertaining and informative. I can't imagine he'd choose the tubes on any other grounds than best for purpose.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
P.H said:
Certainly a bargain, hope you get more joy from it than the original owner. When I see such things sold unused I always suspect there's a sad story behind it.
I've never ridden a Dave Yates frame, I've seen his framebuilding exhibition at York Rally a few time, both entertaining and informative. I can't imagine he'd choose the tubes on any other grounds than best for purpose.

I've already had a lot of joy from looking at the frame. It arrived this afternoon and the orange in the photo posted here is very understated. It's a retina searing flouorescent orange and I'm dithering between a 'new build' and a component transfer from my Dawes Galaxy.

The frame dates back to when Dave Yates built frames for M Steel cycles up north. The frame feels lighter than my Galaxy frame.

Top Bottom