Got myself a helmet cam finally. First recording. How's my cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_L

Über Member
no real comments on the riding, but you're not so far from me.

started watching the vid and thought, i'm sure that's the hill out of Oakworth!

I quite like the hill going the other way from the station up to the Coop!!!

marinbearvalley

Try a bit harder (faster) past the revenue cameras
wink.gif

OP
OP
Femto

Femto

no real comments on the riding, but you're not so far from me.

started watching the vid and thought, i'm sure that's the hill out of Oakworth!

I quite like the hill going the other way from the station up to the Coop!!!

Yes, you've got the right road. :-)
I like climbing that hill too but when I get to the Co-Op at the top, I usually end up cancelling it out with a Magnum ice cream (I swear they must put crack in them or something :tongue: )...so I go the other way. :blush:

Try a bit harder (faster) past the revenue cameras
wink.gif

I wouldn't have to try much harder than I was, I was running at about 37mph as I went past the second camera. It's a 40 limit.

That sunday ride was definitely uneventful. I knew something would come up eventually.

That could have been avoided though, you were making a left turn and not at full speed since you had been stopped at the lights. You can see the bus indicating right up ahead and the bus gets to the junction and begins its turn a few seconds before you.

Yes the driver might have misjudged the gap slightly but you could see it happening and that's no reason to put yourself in danger by not slowing down and positioning yourself by the rear left corner of the bus. I presume you are familiar with the route so you would know that there is a bus depot just after the junction. If so there is even more reason to stay out of the danger zone of the bus.

IMO it seems like you were just looking for trouble so you could post something.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Are you mr hippo? Of course it could be avoided - it was avoided by the OP on the video. The point is that the driver shouldn't have done that, minor though it was. I don't think he'd have done very well in his PCV with that bit of driving.

Are you mr hippo? Of course it could be avoided - it was avoided by the OP on the video. The point is that the driver shouldn't have done that, minor though it was. I don't think he'd have done very well in his PCV with that bit of driving.

Who's Mr Hippo?

All I'm saying is that there was no need to endanger oneself by cycling down the left of the bus. By all means moan at motorists when they drive dangerously but first and foremost cycle according to the situation around you and be defensive about your own safety.

In this case the bus slowed during the right turn because it had to then turn left into the bus depot. The cyclist could clearly see the situation arising but chose to make the left turn at the same time as the bus. This put them in a dangerous position and turned what could have been a non-incident into a minor incident. The cyclist could have avoided even the possibility of a 'cut-up' by holding back for all of 1-2 seconds.

The OP asked for tips about their cycling. I gave my opinion.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
IMO you're overdramatising what happened. You make it sound all dangerous when the OP held back from the bus just fine. Perhaps you're missing the point of the bus driver's mistake?

OP
OP
Femto

Femto

Yeah, I'll just keep on going and ride into the bus next time.
I did almost stop too. If I'd have gone any slower, I'd have had to unclip ready to put my foot down.
Whether I was turning left or going straight on, I would have had to almost stop.
I think it was a case of "biggest first".

It is a bit subjective I suppose but surely turning right across the path of an oncoming road user who is signalling left is a bit dodgy.

I did not argue that the bus driver was completely free of fault - obviously the gap wasn't quite big enough for him to get through without obstructing you.

However what I am criticising you for is taking the turn while parallel with the bus in a single lane. This is unsafe for the reasons I mentioned before. You could see the bus was turning so it would have been safer to slow down earlier, unclip if needs be not a big deal, and slot in behind the bus. This would have probably been faster overall because you would have been able to overtake the bus as it was pulling in to the bus depot.

You wanted tips on your cycling right?

And who is Mr. Hippo?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think you're probably misinterpreting the camera footage, as placing the OP closer to the bus than he/she actually was. I don't think Femto was too close at all, and your criticism seems unwarranted and OTT at best.

I'm not saying the cyclist was too close. However if you look at 0.33-0.35 you can see that the OP crosses the dotted white line of the junction while the rear of the bus is still crossing it. If you consider that there are also barriers on the left this positioning could appear dangerous.

If the cyclist had slowed more on the approach and waited for the rear of the bus to pass then they would have had no complaints of being cut up. In fact they probably wouldn't have had to slow down that much as the mouth of the junction is very wide and they could have just taken a later turn in point.

I'm sorry but the snarky 'fantastic' just annoys me when the cyclist's positioning could have avoided being in that position in the first place.

pedallingpasty

Yeah, I'll just keep on going and ride into the bus next time.
I did almost stop too. If I'd have gone any slower, I'd have had to unclip ready to put my foot down.
Whether I was turning left or going straight on, I would have had to almost stop.
I think it was a case of "biggest first".

It is a bit subjective I suppose but surely turning right across the path of an oncoming road user who is signalling left is a bit dodgy.

I am going to upset some of you, but with all due respect to Femto i have to agree with ManiaMuse and Bent Mikey on this one. That situation was totally advoidable.
Seriously now, how far away was that bus when you were both stopped, it was hardly the opposite side of a pedestrian crossing was he?
You are probably a strong cyclist, hence your fast acceleration to meet the Bus. The bus was negotiating a right turn into the bus station, he was hardly going to max it out was he!!
I mean, i am sure if we were in our cars, i expect most of us would have quite happily let him complete his manouver so that the traffic behind him can go about their merry way and the Driver can do his job. Those few passengers on the bus do mean a few less cars on the same bit of road after all. So karma all around then.
I would rather watch a video of you flying down a mountain road or hurtling along a single track.

Cheers.

Top Bottom