Got myself a Pug:-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A small scale mid life crisis has seen me scouring the local Belgian small adds looking for some vintage steel. After a few near misses I came across an ad for an aluminium framed Peugeot racer: asking price 250 Euros. It had been sat on the website for a couple of months with a few double figure offers. I looked at the photos, arranged to see it and within 12 hours I became the proud owner of a 1983 Peugeot Super Competition PY 10s.^_^

Reynolds 531 SL frame, Spidel groupset comprising Simplex SLJ shifters, stronglight 106(?) chainset, Mafac brakes and Maillard 700 pedals. The biggest deviation with the French catalogue specification are the wheels: Super champion gentlemen clinchers on Maillard 700 professional small flange hubs. Paint work has "patina" and, from the feel, they have used triangular bearings in the rear hub, but all in all I am very happy:laugh:

Now it needs a clean up. A wash down and wax for the frame but how should I buff up the chrome( chrome polish? aluminium foil?) and the alloy? All advice welcome.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    197.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 92

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Now that really is rather lovely. Never mind the fat 'tubes' I think bikes lost something visually when the chainset shrunk in the wash and stopped overlapping the rear wheel. A proper summer bike. I am determined to get the old Gazelle TT bike out of the loft this summer. That has 'young man' gearing on it as well!

Was this advertised as aluminium then?

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Was this advertised as aluminium then?

Yes, the decals say Reynolds but the rest is in French, vendor was Dutch speaking but knows (the other) Reynolds make aluminium. I think that this was one reason why no one picked up on it, except for a couple of traders who put in stupidly low bids.

Top Bottom