Got some helmet cam footage of YOUR commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
Like others have said, the ATC2K uses Motion-JPEG, the amount of motion won't effect how much data is used for each frame, the complexity of the image will effect it though. If you leave the camera running, pointing at a plain wall, the data rate will be relatively low, if you point it at a complex image, it'll be high, and a slow memory card is more likely to fail if you are sending a lot of data to it. If you are testing it in the office, make sure it's pointing at something with lots of complexity, ie no big areas of blankness.

When I first used my ATC2K with a cheap card, it randomly stopped after different periods of time, and whilst the card "lost" capacity, there was generally no associated video file. I had to reformat the card to regain the capacity. I assume that when the data rate being written to the card exceeded what it could deal with, the microcontroller barfed, and fell over, and didn't close the file correctly, leaving a corrupted structure on the "disc".

domd1979

Veteran
Have uploaded footage of most of my commute home in sunny Stafford:

As my commute is 12 mins, and You Tube allow 10mins max, there's a little bit missing at the beginning and end.

Also - a brief clip of some quality driving encountered yesterday morning:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Nice! All you have to do now is get the time down to fit on Youtube without clipping the ends...;) Mind you, with more luck at the lights, I guess you'd trim a minute or so...

As cycle lanes go, that one about 3-4 minutes in is quite nice. Quite wide, not filled with drains and the solid line seems to keep the cars out. I noticed that Ford Ka kept well away from the solid line, but strayed closer when it became a dotted line with red tarmac. It was at a junction which may account for the change in line, but it would be interesting to watch generally to see is solid lines work better than dotted..

Looks like a nice ride - the tree lined surburban roads reminded me of back home in Leicester.

And a classic bad overtake. Do you think that driver was suddenly a bit worried when you didn't just get out of his/her way?:ohmy:

domd1979

Veteran
Yep, I'll have to eat more weetabix before attempting a sub-10 minute effort I think!!

The mandatory cycle lane isn't too bad on the way home, and moving out approaching the roundabout is usually easy enough, particularly with a downhill gradient on your side! On the way to work, the cycle lane ends as the road narrows (classic) and just as it ends, there are assorted wonky manhole covers to dodge.

I think the driver overtaking the bus was getting a bit worried, as I didn't waiver from the primary position!! :biggrin:

Arch said:
Nice! All you have to do now is get the time down to fit on Youtube without clipping the ends...;) Mind you, with more luck at the lights, I guess you'd trim a minute or so...

As cycle lanes go, that one about 3-4 minutes in is quite nice. Quite wide, not filled with drains and the solid line seems to keep the cars out. I noticed that Ford Ka kept well away from the solid line, but strayed closer when it became a dotted line with red tarmac. It was at a junction which may account for the change in line, but it would be interesting to watch generally to see is solid lines work better than dotted..

Looks like a nice ride - the tree lined surburban roads reminded me of back home in Leicester.

And a classic bad overtake. Do you think that driver was suddenly a bit worried when you didn't just get out of his/her way?:biggrin:

mcd

Take 1

Here's my commute - the more direct one, so sorry - no sea views. It was taken on my way into work around 08:00 last Saturday - not so good having to work on a Saturday, but the roads are much quieter! I live in the country side and work in the centre of town - but still managed to fit the entire commute within youtube's time limit :sad: (a bit of downhill helped!)

Turn the volume up (work/family safe) & enjoy the Shorter commute

It's the first time I've used a head camera in action - so excuse the rough bits. But this does make the bit with pedestrian even more remarkable. If I'd been a few seconds earlier someone could have got hurt - but it would have made for some classic youtube viewing!!!

mcd said:
Here's my commute - the more direct one, so sorry - no sea views.........

Excellent video mcd! I liked the music and I loved the way you slow mo'ed the pedestrian ;). It was a bit close!!:sad:

I really will have to have a go on one of these bents. The cornering looks like fun!

Keep up the good work!!:biggrin:

mcd

magnatom said:
The cornering looks like fun!

Ohhhh yes - the cornering is good fun - and the straight bits are pretty good too (esp down hill). Takes a bit of practice, so you have to put up with some wobbly cycling for a wee while (a bit like taking up snow boarding if yer a skiier) but it's worth it. I got my bike from kinetics in Bearsden. I think he's got bikes you can try out - or you could go across to laidback in Edinburgh.

Addybobble

4KAM and ATC2K

Hi. My first post, so hello everyone.

I have a 4KAM and an ATC2K example on youtube if anyones interested:

4KAM:

ATC2K:

The 4KAM was on my shoulder, at night, between whitechapel and stratford (with a bit of cheesy music). It's very good quality. I took that on my litespeed road bike. I'll be using the 4KAM in tuscany later this year for a Lowes syndrome trust charity ride.
The ATC2K is OK during the day, but offroad riding seems to end up with a ripple effect on the video. I took that on a rockhopper.
I prefer the 4KAM, but it's more fiddly to set up (batteries and recorders are all separate).

Incidentally, hi there cupoftea. That was the rainiest commute to work I've had for a long time! Nice meeting you.

PrettyboyTim

See, ideally, I'd like a shoulder mount like this one:

7143press03001qi4.jpg

... especially if it still had the laser fitted... ;) :tongue: :biggrin:

Addybobble

Unfortunately more like this. Shoulder gets a bit sore after a few miles:

Nice dreadlocks, btw. Is that a tony and guy thing?

mcd

Uncle Phil said:
By gum, commuting's tough on Jersey...
6 min 20 seconds. Tut tut.;):biggrin:

Is that a challenge? Sounds like a que for a "who's got the shortest commute" thread :sad:

Top Bottom