Got some helmet cam footage of YOUR commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
E&C used to be on my route to, double roundabout?

it must have changed since I last went round it

clefty

Arch, just trying to have a closer look at how you mounted it on the top of your helmet as I'm having trouble keeping it steady using the velcro strap - i seem to end up with too much strap..any help appreciated.

Typically on the way home from picking up the cam, I had a run in with a white van from Lambeth council, who when I caught up with him at the lights after buzzing me by centimetres at about 30mph and explained how he scared the crapola out of me, said 'F*** you B**ch' What a charming advert for Lambeth Borough Council, Oh how I wish I was wearing the damn thing!

clefty

Tynan said:
E&C used to be on my route to, double roundabout?

it must have changed since I last went round it

Well you have the first one coming off Kennington Road, then the next bigger evil one that covers the roads to Lambeth North, London Bridge and New Kent Road, it used to be worse before they put traffic lights in - its still a bit hairy though.

Arch

Married to Night Train
clefty said:
Arch, just trying to have a closer look at how you mounted it on the top of your helmet as I'm having trouble keeping it steady using the velcro strap - i seem to end up with too much strap..any help appreciated.

Yeah, I found it a bit of a fiddle to start with, and tried a couple of set ups. I walked in today, so don't have the helmet to hand, but as far as I remember it goes like this:

Using the shorter of the two velcro straps:

Position mount between two vents in required position and try to hold in place with one hand.

Thread strap through one slot on one side of the mount (having stuck on the rubber non-slip patch as recommended in the instructions). Pull through until the buckle is nearly at the mount.

Slot the strap down through the vent on the same side.

Bring it up through the other vent, and through the outer slot in the mount.

Take it back down through the vent (going over the end of the mount), and double back, to run up through the first vent.

Pass it through the buckle, and pull back down through the vent to engage the velcro.

Find you've done the whole procedure with the strap the wrong way round, so that the velcro bits are on the wrong side.:blush:

Remove it all, and do again, making sure you turn the strap over...:rolleyes:

That's a horribly wordy descirption, I know. I'll try and do a drawing...

Arch

Married to Night Train
Not sure if this helps. Imagine a cross section through the helmet 'gaps' are the various slots and vents...

mountsketch.jpg

Basically, the strap doubles back more than you might think of initially.

I just did a lot of trial and error. Of course, the particular size of the vents and the bits of helmet between them vary from helmet to helmet, so you have to improvise...

clefty

Thanks Arch, I think i've cracked it now. I dont think my lid is flat enough at the top to get it to stay there so I've gone for the borg option which seems to be pretty solid now, although i also have the handlebar option when I want to look like less of a muppet ;-)

clefty said:
Thanks Arch, I think i've cracked it now. I dont think my lid is flat enough at the top to get it to stay there so I've gone for the borg option which seems to be pretty solid now, although i also have the handlebar option when I want to look like less of a muppet ;-)

I do not look like a muppet........... I am borg, and you have been assimilated.......

assimilate.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
Ok, I got it tidied up and added a couple of captions.

Not a patch on all your fancy London commutes, I'm sure;), but it does prove we have traffic up here sometimes...

It also highlights how much sooner a cyclist can be aware of and react to an emergency vehicle.

(if you have sensitive ears, turn the sound down a bit when the fire engine comes through!)

clefty

Will do a proper first commute-cam home tonight, the bridge is due to lift at 18:15 so should be able to get that in as well. Will try and get it edited on the Mac and posted tonight.

Tetedelacourse

Couple of questions for you lot:

1. How much does a reasonable cam cost?
2. Where can you mount it if you don't wear a helmet? Not trying to start a debate, I choose not to wear one and am wondering if I need to get it grafted to my skull
3. My commute is 45 mins. How long would said camera be able to film for?
4. How big typically is, say, a 5 minute film file? I have an old laptop with old memory!

Must admit I'm intrigued now I've seen these.

Magna, I used to live in the tenements on the right just past Safeway on Bearsden Road. Thanks for the nostalgia!

Arch, I think it takes me longer to get my gear on than it does you to complete your commute! Very picturesque though. Good toe-tapping music too.

domd1979

Veteran
1. About £85 for an ATC2K which are quite popular. Just got mine on Friday, from Amazon Marketplace. You need to factor in getting an SD memory card (preferably 2GB - the maximum for an ATC2K) and rechargeable AAs to power it. Some places do an ATC2K plus card for about £100. See the thread I started on the Helmet Cam board about retailers NOT to go to....!!!

2. You could either put it on the handlebars, or it might go round your head using the rubber strap.

3. 1hr at full resolution.

4. 150MB ish.

Tetedelacourse said:
Couple of questions for you lot:

1. How much does a reasonable cam cost?
2. Where can you mount it if you don't wear a helmet? Not trying to start a debate, I choose not to wear one and am wondering if I need to get it grafted to my skull
3. My commute is 45 mins. How long would said camera be able to film for?
4. How big typically is, say, a 5 minute film file? I have an old laptop with old memory!

Must admit I'm intrigued now I've seen these.

Magna, I used to live in the tenements on the right just past Safeway on Bearsden Road. Thanks for the nostalgia!

Arch, I think it takes me longer to get my gear on than it does you to complete your commute! Very picturesque though. Good toe-tapping music too.

clefty

Just editing the footage from my journey home tonight, for some reason the cam cut off at about 20 minutes, so i lost the last 15 mins or so - only noticed when i got home. I'm also finding that the footage is very contrasty, over exposed sky and i'm losing a lot of detail in the shadows - this could be due to having the sun behind me an or the cam mounted on the handlebars - will try mounting it on the helmet tomorrow. Anyone else noticed the contrasty phenomena - I'm guessing its over compensating for the large amount of sky i have in my footage. I'll stick it up somewhere when its finished rendering - link to follow.

ok here it is

not very happy with the quality but at least got the bridge in..speeded up somewhat because no-one wants to watch the A3 for 20 minutes..
will improve..honest

oh also look out for the muppet on his mobile who wandered in front of me near the end

domd1979

Veteran
Yep, I'd noticed that as well. Must be something to do with how it meters the light coming in. There's some not very exciting footage of when I tested the camera out going round the block, here:

where a couple of times it goes a bit dark, then when I look down and back up again, or change direction, it seems to sort itself out. Hopefully will post my commute some time in the week.

clefty said:
'm also finding that the footage is very contrasty, over exposure sky and i'm losing a lot of detail in the shadows - this could be due to having the sun behind me an or the cam mounted on the handlebars - will try mounting it on the helmet tomorrow. Anyone else noticed the contrasty phenomena - I'm guessing its over compensating for the large amount of sky i have in my footage. I'll stick it up somewhere when its finished rendering - link to follow.

Tetedelacourse,

Yes I live in the area 'formerly know as Temple', which is a new build not far too far from the safeway (which is now Morrisons :blush:). I'm about as close as you can get to Bearsden without actually being in it. :rolleyes:

Clefty,

Your problem with the contrast is because you have too much sky in your picture. You will have to angle the camera down a bit (and rotate it a little as well!) and that will improve the contrast. It takes a while to get the angles right.

Of course there will always be times when you go from light to dark where the camera takes a few seconds to recover.

Top Bottom