Got some helmet cam footage of YOUR commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
What's the best way to mount the camera?

I'm having trouble fitting the camera to my helmet - not too sure whether the mounting bracket for the camera should have the entry point facing upwards or downwards. Also the helmet feels very heavy on one side. I'm using the rubber strap at present and the camera's a bit unsteady. I have velcro straps which I could insert through the vents also. How does everyone else manage it?;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
ChrisKH said:
What's the best way to mount the camera?

I'm having trouble fitting the camera to my helmet - not too sure whether the mounting bracket for the camera should have the entry point facing upwards or downwards. Also the helmet feels very heavy on one side. I'm using the rubber strap at present and the camera's a bit unsteady. I have velcro straps which I could insert through the vents also. How does everyone else manage it?;)

For a while I had mine on my old Met helmet, with the velcro through the vents. It was off centre, because the shape of the helmet meant it wouldn't sit flat on the top (I have a pic on photobucket, but the site's down at the mo..). It did drag it down over one ear a bit. But I got a new helmet at the CTC Rally, a Giro, and it's got a better flat bit on top, so now it sits on top, central, velcro through straps - would take a pic, but haven't got my stills camera here today... I've set it so that camera slides into mount from behind, and I can pretty much take it out and replace it by feel now.

I haven't used the rubber strap - felt that velcro was safer. I'll have to use the rubber one if I ever get round to fixing it on my riding hat though - no vents!

I've had the odd time when the 'on' button doesn't want to work - not the record button, but the little on button to one side. I'm wondering if that's just because of the way it's made - it does take quite a hard push to contact through the rubber - and if you have dainty fingers like me, or remotely long fingernails (ie, protruding beyond the end of your fingers), it can be quite hard. Anyone else found it fiddly or difficult?

Chris,

Like Arch I use the velcro straps to attach it through a vent.
509445711_49c6ec92e6_b.jpg

It does pull the helmet slightly to one side but not too much if your helmet is tight fitting (as it should be ;)).

It does also weigh my head down a little to one side, but I don't really notice it any more. Of course I have very strong neck muscles.....

As Arch said the buttons can be a bit fiddly, but as I keep my fingers nicely manicured I don't have too many problems :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Here are some pics:

My previous set up:

helmetcammount003.jpg

My current set up:

helmetcammount001-1.jpg

helmetcammount003-1.jpg

Hope this helps... I find it drags the helmet over less (hardly at all), but can make for more fore and aft movement if the helmet is at all loose... Luckily the new one has one of those dial tightening things, which I can nip up every so often...

And my fingernails are perfectly nicely manicured, just that being a lady, they are perhaps a little longer than a chap's. Actually, they need a trim, they're starting to irritate me when I type....

Tynan

Veteran
all for these in theory but they look heavy and awkward on what already something quite awkward

It really isn't too bad Tynan. 99% of the time I forget I have it on. The only problem I ever have is walking out of my work I sometimes catch it on the door frame!

Tynan

Veteran
mmm

perhaps you're just used to it now

I'd love to have one because I reckon I'd catch something good almost every single day

too much money

Arch

Married to Night Train
magnatom said:
It really isn't too bad Tynan. 99% of the time I forget I have it on. The only problem I ever have is walking out of my work I sometimes catch it on the door frame!

The thing that reminds me is usually people looking at me and hearing them say "is that a camera?" as I go by...

LOGAN 5

Arch said:
Here's my latest (also posted in Cafe, so apologies for duplication...)

What Arch thinks on her ride home:

Not wanting to sound like I'm stalking you....but was wondering where your commute was because it looked such a lovely place and I guessed maybe York with the walled bits and there is was in the credits! What an unstressful commute you have.

Arch

Married to Night Train
LOGAN 5 said:
Not wanting to sound like I'm stalking you....but was wondering where your commute was because it looked such a lovely place and I guessed maybe York with the walled bits and there is was in the credits! What an unstressful commute you have.

Yes, I'm really very lucky. I could go the other way, turn left and round the inner ring road, which would be a little lore trafficy and stressful, but even so, it's hardly a steaming metropolis....

Also, I tend to be riding in earlier than the main morning rush (about 8am - I think the rush is at 8.30ish) and after the evening rush (about 6pm - main traffic 4.30-5.30?)

Actually the worst city centre traffic is often when I go riding on a Tuesday, about 2pm...

I have a clip of this week, I'll see if I can upload it before I have to slink off, it takes ages to get into Moviemaker to cut out the right bit...

clefty

I could only dream of that, although the A3 with such delights as Newington Causeway (or the roundabout of doom as I affectionally call it) and Tower Bridge are quite fun every day, will post something next week, with luck I'll get the bridge opening on the way home - happens at least once a week at the moment.

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's being a bit slow to upload, and I have a train to catch, so I might have to leave it until next week...

Tynan

Veteran
Newington Causeway anything to do with Stoke Newington?

I use to ride from Tottenham to Morden right down the A10 through Stokey etc etc, that's one crazy wild west stretch of road

clefty

Actually no, its that lovely double roundabout at the Elephant & Castle, but I know the stretch of road that you mean - reminds me of madness mile between Tooting Bec and Colliers Wood, random people pulling out and wandering into your path - I actually now automatically unclip when I enter this zone, its that random.

Top Bottom