Got the bike today and rode it home :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
:welcome:

Sorry its the rules.........pics or else:gun:..................:biggrin:

Having basically the same bike as you, and having only gotten back into it 3 months ago after 20+ years away from cycling, I can TOTALLY relate to ALL you have stated.

And I'm here to tell you that if you stick with it, after 3 months it won't even be a challenge to you anymore.

And I'm also going to tell you get rid of the Bontrager seat and get one that's comfortable. It makes the riding that much more enjoyable.

Stick with it maybe 2-3 times per week and all the little aches and pains will disappear. Once you get into a routine and your body begins to adapt, you'll want to ride that TREK everywhere!

OP
OP
P

Pikeman

Thanks all, Shelton what seat would you recommend? Padded shorts or new seat?
Also how do I upload pics from my iPad any ideas?

raindog

er.....
4. Long slow hills sap your energy more than steeper short ones.
I know what you mean, but it depends on the length of the long ones, and the steepness of the short ones. ^_^

Congrats on the new bike and stick with the riding, you're going to love it.

simon.r

Person
Thanks all, Shelton what seat would you recommend? Padded shorts or new seat?
Also how do I upload pics from my iPad any ideas?

There are numerous threads on here discussing the merits of different saddles, but I'd suggest sticking with the one you've got for the time being and making sure it's adjusted to suit you. Start with it level and in the middle of its backward / forward range and then make adjustments from there if you're not comfy. There's probably a single allen bolt holding the saddle to the seatpost - slacken this off and you'll be able to move the saddle around. Make sure you do it up tightly after making the adjustments (sounds obvious, but it's easy to have it too loose and for the saddle to move around under your weight, risking knackering the seatpost / saddle clamp) . Also make sure you have the saddle at the correct height - it's tempting to have it too low.

Padded shorts make a world of difference - get some!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
3. Whoever says hills are fun needs help of some sought.
9. Bike looks great in bright red.
10. Cycling into the wind is hard.

Well done, you'll be doing massive rides soon enough!

dont tell the wife but i enjoy hills and headwinds (when im not in a rush! lol) i thik shes trying to section me anyway but as im only a hazard to myself ( i love trying to break 50MPH downhill) i dont think the'll succeed!

and Red always makes everything go faster!

I went to a smaller bike shop "I prefer to support the mom and pop shops" and spent $35 bucks on a wider seat, was a Raleigh seat I believe "Avenir." I had a gel seat cover I tossed on and it's been very comfy. Only drawback is the gel cover tends to absorb sweat so it needs to be washed on occasion to keep the smell down.

I also put on a different steering stem "more upright" and got rid of the handlebar and put on a Bontrager Crowbar. So now the riding position is a bit more upright and the bars a bit closer to me. Seems to work as I find it pretty comfy.

Top Bottom