Got the bike. What else needed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MisterMeg

I have ordered myself a bike and now I need to know what other "essentials" I might need (profuse apologies if this has been covered already).

I'm not keen on helmets, but other items I have bought are a puncture repair kit, a pump that fits onto the frame and a bottle and cage.

Is there anything else I ought to consider, bearing in mind that I just want to enjoy cycling, not ride the Tour de France? Does all that lycra kit have a functional purpose or is it just for show?

PS Thanks to everyone who gave such good advice on my last question.

8-wheeler

A couple of other things that will be useful:

Good locks
Spare innertube
Light set

mosschops2

I'd choose mudguards. Good for staying drier and cleaner than you otherwise would, and make bike look less cool - alledgedly a deterrent to bike thieves.

Also, unless you're getting a high spec bike like what I didn't, I'd consider changing the tyres. Daft I know - but on my £200 hybrid I was getting a puncture per 40 miles (1 a week). Since getting somw swanky puncture resistant brand on, no punctures since.... January I think!
Mainly because my low end bike had crap componentry on it mind....

mosschops2

Actually having read your earlier thread - what did you order in the end??

Only curious!! My £200 Dawes has poor components in general - I cycle daily on a commute - but no real distance, and so far have got through a bell, a brake cable, a gear cable, a set of brake pads, two tyres, two innertubes....
That could be it! I'm not sure whether spending that £100 or so on the bike would have dramatically have solved those particular problems - but it would porbably have helped!

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
Spare tubes and a saddle bag to put them in (plus mobile and any other tools). Trying to repair a puncture (in the rain usually) gets very tedious - just fit the spare tube and sort it out at home.

Roadies (well most of them anyway) wear Lycra because it works. You will be more comfortable in any given conditions in cycle specific clothing - honest.

Tynan

Veteran
padded shorts are good for your arse and general soft parts, the tight ones also reduce chafing and work better in the wet, depends on your mileage

proper cycling top really really does keep you dry and cool, I was amazed when I got my first one, cycling gloves with the gel palms are nice too

all the gear seems a bit over serious until you use it realise how good it is, you don't care thereafter

bonj2

MisterMeg said:
I have ordered myself a bike and now I need to know what other "essentials" I might need (profuse apologies if this has been covered already).

I'm not keen on helmets, but other items I have bought are a puncture repair kit, a pump that fits onto the frame and a bottle and cage.

Is there anything else I ought to consider, bearing in mind that I just want to enjoy cycling, not ride the Tour de France? Does all that lycra kit have a functional purpose or is it just for show?

PS Thanks to everyone who gave such good advice on my last question.

Technically you don't need anything, as nothing's stopping you just riding your bike out without anything.
However, it is strongly recommended the most important thing you need to take with you is a spare tube, pump and tyre levers - otherwise you can get stranded miles from home with no way of fixing your puncture. Taking a spare tube is preferable to taking a puncture repair kit, as puncture repair kits are a faff at the best of times, never mind by the side of the road where it might be windy/rainy/dark, and you might not be able to find where exactly on the tube the puncture is, so it's best to take a spare tube, even if you then decide to mend the old one when you get home and can find where it is with a sink full of water.
You may also need a spanner if your bike hasn't got quick release wheels, I vaguely remember you saying you had a fairly old bike so it might not have? Might be better just to replace the axles with QR ones if not, they're not dear.

Next most important is a lock, if you intend leaving your bike anywhere it might get nicked, a lock is very strongly recommended. I've got a kryptonite evolution mini (D-lock), which is small and light and thus easy to carry around but is also secure.

These are the things I personally have, you decide which of them you think you want:
Lycra shorts - have padding in them for better comfort
helmet - up to you. I must admit i don't always wear mine.
Gloves - comfort for ulnar nerve, and protection against road rash on hands if you come off
Lights - essential for at night
Saddle bag - good for keeping tube/tyre levers in, so you always have them. Detachable ones are good for not getting nicked (as does happen!)
Hydration pack (or water bottle) - I find the former much better, but you may like water bottles
Panniers (and pannier rack) - great for carrying gym kit/shopping
Teflon spray and low viscosity chain oil - couple of drops of chain oil on each link every few rides, and spray the teflon on the cassette, chainrings, and in both mechs, bit on the cable inner where it comes out of the outer aswell can't hurt.
Clipless pedals - claimed to increase power output, which I think is true. Your choice though.

OP
OP
MisterMeg

MisterMeg

And a rucksack to carry it all in I suppose! Thanks all (Bonj seems to be particularly thorough).

I'll see how I go without the lycra, but any sign of saddle sores and I'm sure I'll change my mind! Can anyone recommend a website that sells all this sort of stuff (I'm wary of shopping online) at a reasonable price? I'm quite happy to have standard stuff, and I certainly don't want advertising all over the shirt.

I get the impression that there is no limit on what can be spent!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
With the nights drawing in I am sure you've got a good set of lights, a set of spare batteries is also a good idea. I am still surprised when a light, which looked bright when I started out, goes dull half way home.

The only limit on what can be spent is the depth of your pockets...

8-wheeler

Oldlegs said:
Roadies (well most of them anyway) wear Lycra because it works. You will be more comfortable in any given conditions in cycle specific clothing - honest.

Yes, but the damage to your street cred is irrepairable.

Blimey!
Mister Meg - do not forget to avail yourself of the wonderful bargains that can be Lidl treasures... this week for example is a track pump for £2.99 - that is not going to break the bank - always assuming that everyone lives next door to a Lidl :blush:

Oh - and an edit to say do some research and canvass opinion on the best padded lycra shorts. Not whether you can do without...it will make a tremendous difference to riding your bicycle - at modest cost (unless you fancy Assos et al...

Top Bottom