Got there at last (?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
When I bought my Trek FX7.3 Disc I didn't allow for the disc preventing me using my trailer by fouling the hitch when I go fishing. By the time I realised I had come down being to a one bike family! My son-in-law gave me his old Raleigh but it was too big and needed a lot of money spent on it. I gave it up as a bad job. I then bought a Raleigh MTB sight unseen off Ebay. That was a mistake as although it was advertised as a 20 inch frame, and does in fact measure as 20", it is miles too small fore and aft. Last week I saw a rigid 21.5" Giant Boulder frame on Ebay that I picked up for a tenner. The seller actually delivered it for me. I have spent the last couple of days cleaning, oiling and generally tarting it up and it is looking OK now with a Deore rear mech, new chain and new freewheel (yes, it does take a freewheel). The only thing now missing is a seat post. After hours of searching for a 30.5mm seat post I today managed to score one off Ebay so when that arrives I can fit a saddle and have a ride out on it. I just need a seat clamp but hopefully I can pick one up locally, if not there are plenty online. I temporarily wrapped half a mile of tape round a Raleigh seat post and jammed it in the seat tube to allow me to just sit on the bike and it feels good size wise, so I am looking forward to having a proper ride and then being able to tow the trailer along the river bank.

OP
OP
compo

compo

Veteran
That's it, all done. May need to take a couple of inches of the rear brake outer but it works OK so may leave it as it is for now. The seat post from Ebay and the clamp from Halfords. I haven't tarted it up, just put decent components on it, all of which I had kicking about in the shed. If I still like it during next years fishing closed season I may well get it powder coated and do a proper restoration. Anyway, the whole thing has cost me a total outlay of less than £20, disregarding the value of bits I already had and have used.

I need another project, quick. It's that or tidy up the garden.

Giantbike.jpg

Top Bottom