Got your poppy yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Elmer Fudd said:
Sorry Dom, it's totally relevant, If all those people hadn't gave their lives etc. etc. There is only as you say a few alive because 1000's died. If they all had died (on your statement) then we need not have a Remembrance Day.

And it's relevant another way too - the vast majority of service people the Legion assist these days are under 35 and have been involved in more recent conflicts. Although I *loathe* our current involvement in Iraq, it's the politicians who deserve censure for that, not the service people who are sent and have no choice in where they are sent. In general terms we, via our government, treat our service people appallingly, with poor pay, poor living conditions and undersupplied with *essentials* when we send them into combat. Plus the Legion help service familes too. Giving to the Poppy Appeal is a small way of supporting the service people without supporting the appalling government decision to go to war in Iraq.

Arch

Married to Night Train
wafflycat said:
And it's relevant another way too - the vast majority of service people the Legion assist these days are under 35 and have been involved in more recent conflicts. Although I *loathe* our current involvement in Iraq, it's the politicians who deserve censure for that, not the service people who are sent and have no choice in where they are sent. In general terms we, via our government, treat our service people appallingly, with poor pay, poor living conditions and undersupplied with *essentials* when we send them into combat. Plus the Legion help service familes too. Giving to the Poppy Appeal is a small way of supporting the service people without supporting the appalling government decision to go to war in Iraq.

There is the point of view that everyone fighting in Iraq chose to join the forces in the first place. I probably have more sympathy for the deaths and maiming of the conscripts of the World Wars, and it's probably in their memory that I give. That said, if the state is failing to provide care for emplyees as it should, I don't mind bunging in a quid or so, just as I will occasionally bung in a quid or so to help cancer care, or heart disease research or child protection or lifeboats, which are also things the state should be taking care of.

I'm the same as Rythum Thief, like most things I wear, my poppy usually ends up a crumpled mess...

postman

Legendary Member
I will be buying mine over the weekend.I may have to be careful what i put down next.But for the bravery of many men,boys and women who fought and lost their lives i have had a wonderful life.Also the female population who worked long hours in factories whilst the menfolk were away.But sadly it is a long time since 39-45.The sacrifice these brave souls gave has been tarnished by whimpy politicians and dogooders.They fought for a land fit for heroes.Well by reading some reports of our country on this site and newspapers the poor souls wasted their time.Iwill always buy a poppy and thank them and the present generation of servicemen and women.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I always get one...big sacrifices were made that help me enjoy the freedoms I enjoy now. My uncle, though Irish, joined the British Army in about 1948 I think, and was in Malaya apparently (can't ask him, as he died last year). He was a bit of a one, and spent large parts of his army 'career' banged up in chokey for drinking on duty and being insubordinate... however, thankfully not everyone followed his example!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Fnaar said:
I always get one...big sacrifices were made that help me enjoy the freedoms I enjoy now. My uncle, though Irish, joined the British Army in about 1948 I think, and was in Malaya apparently (can't ask him, as he died last year). He was a bit of a one, and spent large parts of his army 'career' banged up in chokey for drinking on duty and being insubordinate... however, thankfully not everyone followed his example!

Sounds like he was a right character !!

U

User482

I seem to remember that when I was a kid, the poppy used to have "Haig fund" printed on the centre - what's the link?

ChrisKH

Guru
I put in and will always do so. Dad was too young to serve but like many others did his National Service in Egypt at the time of the Suez crisis. We have not long received his Suez Campaign medal (well my brother has; probably thinks he has a right to keep it as he is ex-RAF regiment) but he is too far gone now with a brain degenerative disease to realise (not my brother obviously).

There was a very good article in times2 yesterday about pacifists and their experience before/during/after WWII which is food for thought. Comes from Young Voices:British Children Remember the War. There is also a Children's War exhibition at the Imperial War Museum at the moment. Although my Mum and Dad (and in-laws) were too young to serve I have a multitude of stories from each of them about their wartime experiences and whilst they seem exciting now they also would have suffered to a degree. My father-in-law remembers Nazi occupied Luxembourg vividly. And going hungry, especially when his father was rounded up with other Partisans and sent East to the camps. Fortunately for him his father came back but could never bring himself to speak of what he saw.

domtyler

Über Member
The influence of the events of WWII probably died out years ago, we are left with a pretty shitty legacy anyway (Hooray for the triumph of American 'Democracy' and Capitalism!)

Yeah I will remember those who fought and died in the two world wars in my own way (including my great grandfather who had his leg blown off in WWI and both my grandfathers saw action in WWII, one in the army, one in the navy), probably by watching a few programmes on Discovery, but I don't feel the need to prop up today's armed forces by buying a paper flower.

i've never quite understood the concept behind all the tv presenters wearing them. it's like they're trying to tell us we all have to buy one or that every single one of them bought their own which somehow i doubt. it just makes it all seem a bit fake to me.

U

User482

trustysteed said:
i've never quite understood the concept behind all the tv presenters wearing them. it's like they're trying to tell us we all have to buy one or that every single one of them bought their own which somehow i doubt. it just makes it all seem a bit fake to me.

I agree with this - poppy facism! I doubt that many would argue against supporting the legion, but I've always felt that the red poppy could be used to glorify war, and in particular those murderous, incompetent idiots in charge of WW1.

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed said:

Funny, I've always just assumed that they all wanted to wear one and bought their own. Since everyone I knew always bought one, it seemed logical.

SamNichols

Arch said:
Funny, I've always just assumed that they all wanted to wear one and bought their own. Since everyone I knew always bought one, it seemed logical.

There was an article on the Guardian blogs recently, by a TV presenter who said she wouldn't wear one, as they basically all get forced to wear it.

There was a veteran in Manchester Piccadilly today collecting, unfortunately I had no change. I shall put money into the box on Saturday, in Watford most probably.

betty swollocks

large member
User482 said:
I agree with this - poppy facism! I doubt that many would argue against supporting the legion, but I've always felt that the red poppy could be used to glorify war, and in particular those murderous, incompetent idiots in charge of WW1.

If only it were that simple!
Suggest you read this analysis from the BBC website.
Gives a quite different perspective.

Top Bottom