1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got your poppy yet?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 30 Oct 2007.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I got mine last night in the supermarket. I get one every year and it's my way of remembering those who gave us our freedoms we all take for granted today. I can't understand those who don't respect poppy day.

I say go get one and wear it.:blush:

2. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I picked mine up this evening.

I shall go to the ceremony this year wearing my Veterans Badge, which is nice:thumbsup:

3. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Nope...not until the 1st of November.

4. Nope. Have never worn one and never will. I don't celebrate wars started by self serving politicians. And as Earl Haig wasone of the biggest mass murderers IMO, why should I wear or contribute anything with his name attatched.

And i don't like being guilt tripped into doing things either. :blush:

5. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

I put a pound into the box, but I don't wear the poppy.

6. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

I got my white poppy today.

7. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

I bought my red poppy yesterday.
    I will wear it with pride and gratitude.

8. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

people died to give you the freedom to say what you like, when you like and I simply feel that is worth remembering and supporting.

9. Cab

Cab New Member

Emptied pocket of change into box and got my poppy. Might have been three or four quid. Seems small payment for the families and dependants of those who gave so much more.

10. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Got mine, my Dad's elder brother (Uncle Percy, I never met him) went on a trip to Africa, never came back. Respect costs a few bob and as someone else has said we have the total freedom because of people like that to talk total bollix on here or wherever.

11. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Not really relevant nowadays as there are few left who fought in the last world war.

12. Maggot

It's not just about those who died in the 1st or 2nd World Wars. The Legion work for all ex-servicemen, from all conflicts, and indeed no conflict. I was in the Army during the 80s, the only conflict I was ever really going to be involved in was in a pub at closing time!! My mate, who was in the same unit as me throughout, recently lost his life to cancer, the Legion really helped him and his family.

I know there are lots of us on here who don't agree with whats going on currently, I certainly don't, but the Legion helps people out of everyday struggles and extraordinary struggles.

As for the shite about not wanting to fund Haighs memory, well thats just bollocks Cookiemonster. Contribute to the men and women of, I guess your grandfathers generation, who stepped in and died in the thousands to stop Hitler.

13. SamNichols

SamNichols New Member

I think there's a difference between giving money to the Legion and wearing the poppy. Both of my grandfathers were in the navy in WW2 (alas both now deceased), and I marched on Remembrance Day from the age of 8-18, once a year every year (cubs, scouts, ATC). As i said, I always put money into the collection pots, but do so without taking the poppy.
    However, in giving to the Legion, I don't believe that there should be any compunction to wear the poppy. I believe it is possible to be in the collective state of remembrance that the day implies without having to wear one - the feeling of gratitude to those who lost their life, and continued to lose their lives is an internal one, not one that is denoted by what is essentially a piece of red paper.

14. Maggot

I have no problems with that point of view Sam. The poppy was only used following the 1st WW, as you well know I'm sure.

My problem is with people who say crass things like Cookiemonster did. Although, I would quickly add that it is his right entirely to hold those views. Most people though, I imagine, only give to the Legion between October the 20th and the 12th of November. It's a short window to raise money for all the work they do!

15. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I'll probably iron buy mine tomorrow