Got your poppy yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I got mine last night in the supermarket. I get one every year and it's my way of remembering those who gave us our freedoms we all take for granted today. I can't understand those who don't respect poppy day.

I say go get one and wear it.:blush:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Nope...not until the 1st of November.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
Nope. Have never worn one and never will. I don't celebrate wars started by self serving politicians. And as Earl Haig wasone of the biggest mass murderers IMO, why should I wear or contribute anything with his name attatched.

And i don't like being guilt tripped into doing things either. :blush:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

people died to give you the freedom to say what you like, when you like and I simply feel that is worth remembering and supporting.

Cab

Emptied pocket of change into box and got my poppy. Might have been three or four quid. Seems small payment for the families and dependants of those who gave so much more.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Got mine, my Dad's elder brother (Uncle Percy, I never met him) went on a trip to Africa, never came back. Respect costs a few bob and as someone else has said we have the total freedom because of people like that to talk total bollix on here or wherever.

SamNichols

I think there's a difference between giving money to the Legion and wearing the poppy. Both of my grandfathers were in the navy in WW2 (alas both now deceased), and I marched on Remembrance Day from the age of 8-18, once a year every year (cubs, scouts, ATC). As i said, I always put money into the collection pots, but do so without taking the poppy.
However, in giving to the Legion, I don't believe that there should be any compunction to wear the poppy. I believe it is possible to be in the collective state of remembrance that the day implies without having to wear one - the feeling of gratitude to those who lost their life, and continued to lose their lives is an internal one, not one that is denoted by what is essentially a piece of red paper.

col

Legendary Member
Same here,and i normally stick myself with the pin.
The idea is to remember what others did,and wearing a poppy helps others remember too.so i say wear em,someone else will see it and think,oh i forgot to get /give a little for one,to help a large range of people.but still remember the wars,and what people went through,to give us what we have today.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
domtyler said:
Not really relevant nowadays as there are few left who fought in the last world war.
Sorry Dom, it's totally relevant, If all those people hadn't gave their lives etc. etc. There is only as you say a few alive because 1000's died. If they all had died (on your statement) then we need not have a Remembrance Day.

Top Bottom