Gotta love Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can I mention again the bike on display at our local Halfords with the front mudguard mounted to the front rack mount?

I'm trying to picture this and I can't. How did they do it? Was it the mudguard struts bent upwards to meet the rack mounts?

Domestique

Über Member
I do try to use my LBS when I can then Halfords. The reason for that I see CRC/Wiggle etc as worse than Halfords in terms of damage to the LBS :evil:
CRC etc must have shut down more LBS's than Halfords ever has, although I have nothing to back that up.

Crankarm

Guru
dondare said:
Evans have a price match guarantee? What's that, find the most expensive place and we'll top it?
I go to Evans for their service, but not in any hope of getting a bargain.

Yup, it's plastered all over their website and promotional flyers. Have you not noticed?

You go to Evans for servicing .........wow. You or your bike? Seriously you should be able to maintain your bike yourself. A bike is not exactly complex. I object to paying £20-30 an hour for something I can easily do myself and better.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Now you tell me!

Seriously though I didn't know that (Evans Price Match).

Evans will also price match any deal online. Ring their telesales, and give them any UK website and they'll check there and then. They will price match if item is in stock.

Because they don't charge for delivery you'll be better off even than the cheapest seller.

Saves you leaving your computer, so you can continue posting more gibberish on this forum.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Plax said:
4) You don't have the hassle of squishing down and recycling a massive bike box and subsequently have the neighbours commenting "I see you've bought another bike".

Thats half the fun! - When Helen and I were outside with a huge Wiggle box, our neighbour came out and helped us unbox it :sad: - Shes now ordered herself a nice new Giant Defy from an LBS on cycle to work to replace her 20 year old bike.

dondare

Über Member
Crankarm said:
Yup, it's plastered all over their website and promotional flyers. Have you not noticed?

You go to Evans for servicing .........wow. You or your bike? Seriously you should be able to maintain your bike yourself. A bike is not exactly complex. I object to paying £20-30 an hour for something I can easily do myself and better.
I have replaced virtually evey component on my bike, some many times. But recently I just couldn't get the pedals off. They'd been in place for ten years at least and had become one with the cranks.
At Evans they tried to shift them and couldn't, and the pedals couldn't be dismantled whilst still on the bike. So they removed the cranks, sawed through the pedal to get at the spindle, filed flats onto the spindle, clamped them in a vice and used the crank to get the torque needed. Then they put the new pedals in and reattached the cranks so that I could pedal away.
(I could have done this myself but I'd had to have waited until the weekend and probably taken half a day just to assemble the tools I needed.) They charged £12.50 which was reasonable, I thought.
In contrast, my LBS, Shorter Rochford, always refuse to work on my bike because it's dirty. (Actually that's the bit I don't like about bicycle maintenance, my hands get really fillthy and then so does everything else.)

stevepratt48

I don't know what yours are like, but ours make a lot of mistakes, on pricing, always worth a look.......
Always interesting overhearing 'advice' the give!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
dondare said:
(Actually that's the bit I don't like about bicycle maintenance, my hands get really fillthy and then so does everything else.)

Latex / surgical gloves prevents this. I always take 2 pairs out with me in the saddlebag as well for those roadside repairs.

Top Bottom