GP appointment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Our surgery has a queue of about 20 people outside at 8am every day, trying to get an appointment for that day, because the phone system there is so poor that by the time you finally get through, the appointments have all gone to the people who turned up in person to book them.

How ill people - you know, the ones too ill to drag themselves down to the surgery and wait outside until it opens - get on, is anybody's guess. Maybe it's like natural selection. They just die and reduce the numbers of unsatisfied customers. One thing is for sure, the dead ones won't give bad marks on the customer satisfaction survey.....

That is down to bad management by the surgery.

I've got a major issue running at the moment. Last week I phoned the surgery asking for an appointment with "my" doctor this week. They could not give me one from the desk as her book was not open yet, but I was called back in an hour or so by the duty doctor, explained the situation and she booked me in-advance. I have just got back 30 mins ago from my appointment. Exemplary service from my GP surgery team, meeting my needs to perfection.

gavgav

Guru
Just phoned to get one and you have to phone at 10am like everyone else, no problem say I will I definatley get one as it means me taking a day off of work, sorry they say we cannot guarantee that.

So I ask can I have an appointment for next week, she says they come out on Tuesday afternoon and we have none for next week. So can I have one for further away, sorry those books are not open yet.

Looking on the NHS how to book an appointment I get this,

What if I can't get an appointment?
If you can't get an appointment, the best thing to do first of all is to talk to someone, such as your GP.

Well at least somebody has a sense of humour.
And they wonder why the A&E attendance figures continually increase, when people have these difficulties getting a GP appointment!

gavgav

Guru
And then the GP commissioners wonder why their local A&E unit is packed with primary care patients and the bills keep going up and up...

But woe betide you if you have the temerity to point out the obvious to them.
Absolutely spot on!!

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4785749, member: 45"]The quickest way to get an appointment at our surgery is via the website at 8am.[/QUOTE]
My surgery website just gives me the phone number, I still have to use the 'phone to make an appointment:sad:.

classic33

Leg End Member
Request a call back or sign up for the online booking system or work the system and tell them you're dying and need to see someone now or go to your local GP drop in centre thingy and stop living in the 50's.
Walk-in centres can't deal with yearly medication reviews, or problems(side effects) of that medication. Nor the after effects of a long term medical condition.

Appointment system opens at 08:30, phone only, All appointments gone within the half hour.

Drago

Legendary Member
Load of bull,

Once the feckwits have their 'scrip' it is a daily thing, now if you were to say "why is there a queue of junkies at the chemists" then that's cos a bunch of them have to take it whilst being observed to stop them from selling it.

The chemist is our Doctors surgery.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4785778, member: 9609"]you live in the wrong country - my wife has an appointment 10:15 the morrow, made it late this afternoon with a few times on offer. Now my mother who lives over the border seriously struggles to get an appointment, she always seems to have to wait 10+ days. Englands broken.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about broken, but it does show that the GP trade is very busy, which when you think about it is quite sad that we have so many people needing seeing.

To stop you all guessing, I have regular bouts of pins and needles mainly in left hand but often in both, been going on for a good while and becoming more regular.

Our practice has a triage nurse who either books you for a same day call back by the doc or arranges an appointment usually same or next day depending on the perceived urgency.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4785778, member: 9609"]Englands broken.[/QUOTE]

Not here. Logged in to our GPs calendar and could have an appt at 0920hrs tomorrow if wanted it. I suspect it varies by area rather than nation.

Top Bottom