GP appointment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
In this city the phone lottery system you are describing has been in operation for 15 years!!!!! Tony Blair got famously roasted over being totally out of touch on the issue a very long time ago.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My last GP appointment took place five weeks after my initial request. I saw a consultant ten days later. It turned out to be nothing serious at all. I would be feeling less relaxed about it if the consultant had found something sinister.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
By nature I am a trusting type of guy and prefer to see the good in everybody, so I would stick to they are busy.

At really pushed times like Easter, Christmas and Bank Holidays is when the private scripts like doctaly and pushdr get knocked out.

vickster

Legendary Member
@screenman
Ever considered paying to see a Physio checked over if it's been going on a while and you can't see a GP. Many have evening and weekend clinics, cost about £50 for an initial assessment. No need for a GP referral if self paying

Alternative is a private GP, whatever you think about private HC, again you would be able to avoid missing a day of work (and presumably pay). I think it costs about £80 here

I've luckily never had an issue getting a same day appointment to see a GP or nurse for something urgent, normally I just book online a couple of weeks in advance to see my usual doctor

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi Vickster, thanks for that and yes I have thought about those points and used them in the past, in fact it was my physio who suggested the Doctor route.

I will try this ringing at 10 o'clock bit and see what happens, funny thing about it all is the reception at the surgery uses my wife's services and will call at 8pm for an appointment at a time and date to suit her and not my wife. Still I suppose she does not make the rules.

Globalti

Legendary Member
At our surgery here in Lancashire you can ring up and get an appointment the same afternoon if you don't care which Dr you see.

I think the NHS could save a fortune by putting the software that the GPs use online. Patients could then diagnose themselves.

Q1: Is the patient alive?
Q2: Is the patient blue around the lips?
Q3: Is the patient conscious?

etc. etc.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Managed to get through on the phone at 10.09 am, all appointments gone and no future one's available at this time. They told me to stay available and they will get back to me sometime after talking to the Doctor, they did not know when this might be.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Out of interest I logged into my account to see when the next appointment is available - it is the 31st May at 10:20am. 28 days away. I should probably book it in case I get sick in the meantime.

If I want I can go on a Mon, Wed or Fri and queue up at 8am for an appointment - last time I did that with one of the kids we sat in the waiting room until 10:50 waiting for our slot.

The whole system is utter madness - as @User says - no wonder people just go directly to the out of hours.

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Just got the call, the Doctor cannot see me as my pins and needles going down both arms and into my hands is not a medical emergency, phew! there was me getting worried as the pain keeps me awake at night.

I am told that there is one appointment that might be available, note might, next Thursday. They will try and let me know tomorrow.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just got the call, the Doctor cannot see me as my pins and needles going down both arms and into my hands is not a medical emergency, phew! there was me getting worried as the pain keeps me awake at night.

I am told that there is one appointment that might be available, note might, next Thursday. They will try and let me know tomorrow.
What did the physio think is the issue?

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd make an appointment with the nurse if that's easier, who can then refer you / consult with a GP - tell the nurse the physio is concerned and has referred you. Or request a telephone consult with the GP

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
I'd make an appointment with the nurse if that's easier, who can then refer you / consult with a GP - tell the nurse the physio is concerned and has referred you. Or request a telephone consult with the GP

It seems they do not do a phone consult and that I need to see a doctor, not a nurse. Seems like a lot of barriers.

Top Bottom