GPS advice...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nufab

Über Member
Hey everyone,

I have owned a Garmin Edge 25 for a couple of years, until it recently died... it lost GPS signal all the time. As it was out of warranty, Garmin offered me another for £55, which I decided to go with, only for the replacement to have the exact same problem! I'm a bit put off now, and am in the process of arguing for a refund on the replacement item rather than another Edge 25.

Anyway, I mainly cycle to commute, but I like to log my miles just for a sense of acheivement! I try to get out as much as possible with two small kids at home, and longer rides are getting more frequent as they get older. I would usually create a route on my PC or iPad and export it to the Edge 25, which did a reasonable job of guiding me round.

I'd like something that makes navigation a bit easier, and so I'd been looking at the Garmin Edge Explore... there seem to be a few popping up on eBay, but that might be a bit worrying being as it's a new model. Does anyone have any experience of it and if so is it any good?

I'm very unlikely to do any serious training or use a power meter, so I think a lot of the features of the Edge 520 or the Wahoo units might be wasted.

Any advice or suggestions are very welcome!

Cheers,

Chris

MikeG

Guru
If you want a GPS just for navigation, then the bomb-proof Etrex 20x is your answer.

13 rider

Guru
I use a wahoo and love it, don't use all the features power etc . Navigation never missed a beat . Mine recently went faulty after 18 months replaced hassle free due to 2 year warrenty . Simplicity of use is brilliant but you do need a smart phone to set it up but not to use it

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the Etrex30+ and the Wahoo Bolt.

I have had the Bolt about a year and the Etrex does not come out of the draw.

Wahoo and Garmin. Wahoo wins hands down by a long, long way.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I went from the Edge 200 to a Wahoo Element Bolt which does exactly what you and I both require. Our circumstances & riding appear to be fairly similar. I like the way the Bolt uploads the rides automatically over WiFi, and how it can sync routes created on RideWithGPS very easily.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm very unlikely to do any serious training or use a power meter, so I think a lot of the features of the Edge 520 or the Wahoo units might be wasted.
On this point, I wouldn't worry about having features you don't need. What matters is getting what you do need, and at a good price.

My 520 has been 100% reliable. I chose it two years ago for that reason, and for the reasonable price. Other options might have looked like a better fit for my needs, but the reviews didn't inspire the same confidence. I've never have any reason to regret the decision, so I've get to find out what I'm missing with the Wahoos.

OP
OP
N

Nufab

Über Member
Thanks for the advice everyone... I still have a lot to think about before I buy I guess!

I spent 35 minutes on the phone to Garmin yesterday, despite saying at the start of the call that I wanted a refund on the replacement Edge 25 I'd bought. The tech guy kept asking questions and trying to fix the unit I had, even though I'd already been offered a replacement. Unfortunately when you buy a refurbished unit from them, they only guarantee it for 90 days, and so I just had no faith that another unit would work properly. Eventually they agreed to refund me, so the £55 spent can go towards a new GPS. In my anger towards the end of the call I declared I'd never buy another Garmin... I may do once I've calmed down though...

Interestingly, he claimed that they had never had a GPS fault before with an Edge 25.... funny that, as Ive had it twice myself.

The one thing that pulls me towards the Edge Explore is that the mapping seems really good... It will route you itself, rather than just following a route, and return you to a route if you wander off it. I take my bike on holiday every year, and in most of Devon and Cornwall you'll get no phone signal, so creating a map on the fly while I'm out and then syncing it to a Wahoo unit probably wouldnt be an option, unless anyone knows of a way around this?

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
Between my wife and I we had a variety of Garmins, 520, 800, 810, before K tried a Wahoo Elemnt. Now we both have Elemnts, and the Garmins have been sold/donated on. As others have said, the automatic upload to Strava is good, you can download routes from your smart phone, easy to connect additional sensors if required, clear display, easy to customise screens (unlike Garmins), good battery life, even with the backlight on constantly. Firmware gets updated via the Wahoo App.

OP
OP
N

Nufab

Über Member
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I know this is a very late reply, but I delayed making a decision on this for a fair while. Then, last week, I went for the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt.

What a piece of kit!

I've only had my Edge 25, and then played with a few higher-end Garmins, but this seems just so much better. I love not having to sync anything, and the Bolt just works. I was concerned it would look a bit cheap from photos I'd seen online, but it doesnt at all. The display is great, very readable while actually out cycling, and the mapping is brilliant. Now I just need to find time for more riding!

Thanks again,

Chris

Tenkaykev

Guru
Many thanks for taking the time to update the thread.
I've inherited my wife's Garmin edge touring. I remember the frustration of getting it set up for her and various mapping problems.
She updated to the newer edge touring so that's why I've inherited the old one.
I'll be on the lookout for a deal on the Element Bolt, sounds like a better option.

tom73

Guru
@Tenkaykev you won't be disappointed they just work out the box. They do come up on eBay but not many some times you can get brand new. I got lucky and found one that way. Wahoo have offer too if you keep a look out.

Top Bottom