GPS audio navigation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuitfrisky

I've been looking at getting a Garmin, but before I lump serious money down on one and forego some new cycle clothing.

I want to take a last shot with the forum on the options with Andriod apps.

So I got bike hub but once connected and riding the directions stopped coming through due to the screen deactivated in my back pocket and when at lights and looking at the screen, the instructions came through all at once!

Tried google maps, but it wanted to always take me on the fixed gear poser routes with no climbs and adding extra time to the journeys. Also unable to import Gpx files which I haven't found a solution for.

TL:biggrin:R

So, GPS via audio rather than visual on an Andriod device without using Google maps, or if Google maps with a imported Gpx file.

I have been using it for four years. It's a bit persnickety to get right, and the last time I bothered looking the documentation was years out of date. But once I have it set up correctly, it's probably my favourite app. I use it for long distances, following a gpx route. I have the screen off most of the time, but I do need to have the phone in sight as it's sometimes what I think is straight ahead, it thinks is a turn and vice-versa. But generally I'm happy with it.

When my battery failed on Sunday 183km into a 210km audax, I was desperate. It's my constant voice in my ear, telling me where to go, and I was lost without it.

(couldn't charge my phone on the go because it didn't stop raining enough for me to want to expose delicate electronics)

jnrmczip

I have been using it for four years. It's a bit persnickety to get right, and the last time I bothered looking the documentation was years out of date. But once I have it set up correctly, it's probably my favourite app. I use it for long distances, following a gpx route. I have the screen off most of the time, but I do need to have the phone in sight as it's sometimes what I think is straight ahead, it thinks is a turn and vice-versa. But generally I'm happy with it.

When my battery failed on Sunday 183km into a 210km audax, I was desperate. It's my constant voice in my ear, telling me where to go, and I was lost without it.

(couldn't charge my phone on the go because it didn't stop raining enough for me to want to expose delicate electronics)
Can you import gpx file and if so how not worked it out yet have just been planning routes on map and following?

Can you import gpx file and if so how not worked it out yet have just been planning routes on map and following?
OK, perhaps persnickety wasn't strong enough. You can do this ,but it's pretty arcane. Note: I do this all the time, it's just hard to explain. It's easy enough to do.

1. Copy the GPX file into the directory of your phone osmand/tracks
  2. Open the app, and go to the map page. Click on the menu button and select Configure map.
  3. Click GPX track, which should take you to the list of files in the osmand/tracks directory. Select the track you want to use, click ok and then close the Configure map menu.
  4. From the main map menu, select Directions
  5. Answer "yes" to the question
  6. Click the blue arrow to start guidance.
That's the basics. You need to have a "voice" installed, you will find you want to change lots of settings, but that should get you started.

(one setting I recommend is
Settings->General->Map Orientation->To direction of movement . And I always preface my file with "zz_" as the files are displayed in reverse alphabetical order for some reason, so that puts it on the top of the list.)

2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png

Last edited:
Just a data point: I used it on an audax on sunday, which had a provide GPX file that was a bit strange, and cut a lot of corners. Several times during this ride, I passed a few other riders staring, confused, at their garmin trying to work out which way to turn. I found Osmand unambiguous at these points, so it seemed to be superior to Garmin in that precise, unrepeatable moment.

jnrmczip

I will look forward to putting it through its pa es over the next couple of days and mastering it. Thank you for the help

OP
OP
Biscuitfrisky

Biscuitfrisky

So, took it out for a test today.

Not goods.

How is the second exit on a round about the following phrase: stay slightly left and then turn right.

The second exit it was straight ahead. It did choose to acknowledge roundabouts once but every other time was a n awkward combo of left and right turns.

Also it seemed to ignore that I changed maps and took me on my super hardcore hill climb training ride which I was Ill prepared for.

Also got thrown onto a MTB track for good measure on my 23 slicks which caused me to scream like a 9 year old girl who found out Zayn left one direction as I flew over logs.

I might fiddle with the settings and see if I can optimise, but Mau go with the visual Garmin option.

Scarlo

Is Bike Hub for UK only? I'm off to France in August and looking for a good cycling app for my Android phone, one that preferably tells me best routes (quiet roads, etc)

Top Bottom