GPS error?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I don't really recognise the problem that is being described. In my experience, recording distance cycled by GPS is phenomenally accurate.

My evidence: as a matter of course I record with two independent devices, both Garmin Edges, but different models. Over 100 miles they always measure within a tenth of a mile of each other, and the distance is equally close to that predicted using my standard route planning technique. I see this consistency repeated time after time. It may be worth noting that this is with autopause set completely off.

I've often started a ride by going straight up the A38 past Tewkesbury Abbey. Assuming I don't deviate from the most obvious route, 10 miles invariably clicks up as I pass the entrance gate, precisely as predicted by RideWithGPS, BikeHike, Plotaroute and no doubt others. Theoretically it's possible that everything is wrong by exactly the same amount...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't really recognise the problem that is being described. In my experience, recording distance cycled by GPS is phenomenally accurate.
Same here.

I plot my new routes pretty carefully on digital OS maps so I know what distance I am expecting to cover. My GPS reading at the end of (say) a 100 km ride would typically be with a couple of hundred metres of my target distance.

ColinJ

PS If I ride out and back on a wide road I can usually see 2 parallel lines on my GPS screen - the device is accurate enough to indicate which side of the road I am on!

The only reason that I could think of for someone to need better accuracy than that would be for measuring time trial distances, where a few hundred metres error would be important.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the garmin does it have auto pause on ?
It can affect the distance and average speed either way, when i had my new one i did nt have auto pause on so if i was stopped i kept recording time so the average whichstrava corrected , in the same vein i have auto pause set at 3 mph which means below that it doesnt register so if i was walking it might be below the threshold and not record distance

ColinJ

My Edge 500 kept auto-pausing in traffic jams coming in to Hebden Bridge. I reckon it would also happen when I am crawling up 20+% climbs so I disabled the feature.

I am not interested in average moving speed, but do want an indication of overall average speed so I have set one field on the GPS screen to indicate that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Today I went for a short walk and took along all mapping devices.
Satmap Active 12 recorded 3.31km
Strava recorded 3.55km
Ride with GPS recorded 3.6km
Garmin 820 recorded 2.87km
That's a difference of approx 700m in just over 3km.
Which do I trust????
That's a massive error on a 100km ride.
Simple - RideWithGPS. It's the longest!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Anyone else climb so slowly that autopause engages even though you are still moving?

Happened to me a few times in the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales.
Yes, I've done that a few times myself... purely for GPS research purposes, naturally. :whistle:

( waits until nobody is looking... :heat: )

Top Bottom