GPS Navigation Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

learning2cycle

called them and found out garmins has no headphone jack so no garmins.

which brings to another problem. a smartphone isn't waterproof because it has a headphone jack, but i'm sure there's a case where this problem can be solved.

i checked on all the major gps nav apps and none of them meet the basic requirements above....

the whole purpose in getting a gps solution is to make life easier --

osmand is probably the worst gps app out there and defeats the whole purpose of getting a gps solution

Cycle Streets seems to have almost all of the requirements (don't think it can "* easily able to get muti-route directions from google maps, or another map site"

but the biggest problem is it doesn't give routes for the rest of europe and it's only uk-specific (since cyclestreets uses opencyclemap and the biking routes seems onlly for the uk, and the other apps uses openstreetmaps and that doesn't seem to have almost any biking routes....)

can't use it at it's present state to tour anywhere else.

now what....

I think the best solution going forward is to wait for gps apps to become more developed (I'm guessing a bare minimum of at least a year)

Commercial gps device companies are unlikely to release a cycling-specific gps anytime soon or by year's end.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Well, some friends of mine have successfully made their way from Norway to South Africa to Argentina and Chile with the Garmin Edge 800 and aren't anticipating any problems as they make their way to Alaska.

Top Bottom