GPS Navigation Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

learning2cycle

I'm looking for a GPS Navigation app that
* has muti-route (multiple destinations in one path)
* has turn by turn voice
* easily able to get muti-route directions from google maps, or another map site
* user-friendly
* gives accurate and good bike routes/directions
* has saved locations
* works offline (no data service)

i don't think any of the apps do that at the moment, or the ones i tries had various problems

if there isn't any at the moment, i'll get the Garmin Edge Touring

but does it do all of the above? (i know it doesn't do the turn by turn voice, and just beeps)

also, does the edge touring have a plug for a headphone?

the google maps app has the biking version of the map and shows biking trails, etc. so it's good for that, but all the other stuff are problematic

having gps navigation is absolutely necessary. i get lost SO MUCH.

OP
OP
L

learning2cycle

so what im trying to get at is "what's the solution for experienced cyclists that go to various places?" what do they do?

snorri

Legendary Member
so what im trying to get at is "what's the solution for experienced cyclists that go to various places?" what do they do?
I use a paper map and compass both of which have served mankind well for hundreds of years. When these fail I ask people along the way for directions. It is worth acquiring map reading skills before getting involved with GPS so that you will be able to cope when the battery goes flat or you drop the GPS in a river. By the time you have learned to use a map you will know the roads in your own locality and willl have less need of GPS.

tuffty

Don't know about the Edge Touring but I have an Edge 800 with maps pack and it does everything you list apart from voice directions. It beeps at you a couple hundred yards before a turn, and displays on the screen "turn right" etc with a big arrow. Never had any problems with missing turnings.

You can either tell it to "take me here / home" etc and it will calculate a route for you, or by far the better option is to go onto a site like bikeroutetoaster before the ride and plot out your own route then download to the device. Of limited use when you're just riding your local roads (but still gives you speed / cadence / distance so not a waste of money), but brilliant if you head further afield / cycling holiday etc, you can plan out a nice picturesque route and not have to stop every 20 minutes to read a map.

If you have a smartphone with GPS try looking at NavFree (UK and ROI). It is a large download because the maps are all stored locally rather than google maps which you need mobile data and a signal for. It isn't dedicated to cycling - so won't cover things like bridlepaths (you don't say what type of cycling), but does have the turn by turn voice etc and will re-route to your destination as you change your course and works for roads - you can also tell it to avoid highways & motorways etc. It is also free. http://www.navmii.com/gpsnavigation
Download for iphone https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/navfree-gps-uk-roi-+-street/id391334793?mt=8
download for android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.ALL&hl=en_GB

judder

I have the edge 800 and is great for directions on a pre planned route off garmin connect. It just takes a bit of getting used to..
Tuffty.. How do you turn on the beep to warn of a turning coming up. .Everything else works great. .Thanks

tuffty

I have the edge 800 and is great for directions on a pre planned route off garmin connect. It just takes a bit of getting used to..
Tuffty.. How do you turn on the beep to warn of a turning coming up. .Everything else works great. .Thanks
Its always on for me, I just import my routes as a .tcx file and use Menu/Courses/Go. If you find out how to turn it on I'd love to know as to be honest sometimes it can be a bit over zealous and I'd like the option of turning it off!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best to plot routes rather than let any sat nav take you anywhere. Why, well they will take you the most direct route rather than down the nice country lanes !

Ideal for planning a time limited/distance route, and coming up with a circuit which takes in all the nice lanes and links them up.

They are also good for recording stats !

As for voice, why ? You just need a basic bleep. You'd also not hear it well with wind and traffic - I know you mentioned headphone, but why, it's just additional faff to connect that up.

With all the Edge units its just fit to bike, press start, and you are off.

young Ed

Veteran
me me me look at me!
i have edge touring and love it :biggrin:
no headphone socket but you will hear all those beeps on the busiest of A roads with men and jack hammers doing road works next to you!
highly recommend it it is incredible go to wiggle to get it for £180* on offer from £200**
Cheers Ed
* I am not affiliated with wiggle in any way just a several time very happy customer
** the price Garmin sells them for and pretty much anywhere else!

OP
OP
L

learning2cycle

"better option is to go onto a site like bikeroutetoaster"

site is offline for a while. not sure if it does muti-routes or how it compare to google maps for planning out a route but will find out!

"able to cope when the battery goes flat or you drop the GPS in a river"

im a youngling and have never touched a physical map, or know what a compass is. i for sure in so many ways would go with the technoiglical solution so i either should prepare for one of these misfortunes or hope they don't happen =)

~
App solution

"re-route to your destination"

it routes while offline? well, anyhow i think more importantly is that it doesn't have biking specific directions...

like i know google maps gave good bike directions for this over-the-road bike path that curves a bit and stuff

and this other app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator -- 4.4, 160k reviews -- was really really bad and didn't do that

it completely missed that bike path, and gave the road path (i just bike and don't even have all the gears yet to start cycling and i usually ride on the sidewalk right now)

for https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand it was SO un-user-friendly that i couldn't even figure out how to do muti-route

or even find how to get directions

or even put in the address i wanted to put in...

this is dated http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/google-maps-vs-cyclestreets-battle-for-the-best-route-planner/

and doesn't look like they have any recent reviews http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/features/

~
Garmin solution

i'm sure that the recently released Garmin Edge Touring does all the minimal needs that the garmin 800 and others would do

"wiggle to get it for.." -- think it's about the same on amazon

the only reason why i didn't already get it is because in the near future a mobile app with the minimal needs would likely be developed or improve

and i just feel bad getting a garmin if that happens sooner rather than later

for the beeps,
"You'd also not hear it well with wind and traffic"
"hear all those beeps on the busiest of A roads with men and jack hammers doing road works next to you"

i don't know which is accurate but this is definitely a problem if it doesn't have a headjack plug thing. not sure if it has a headphone jack. i'll call them monday! sounds like it does.

definitely need something around like mid-Feb to end of Fed for --

* exploring various places
* training on bike trails

~
i get lost SO MUCH ='(

can't go anywhere > 2 mile and only 1 destination (some streets don't have signs and other problems)

Last edited:

young Ed

Veteran
"better option is to go onto a site like bikeroutetoaster"

site is offline for a while. not sure if it does muti-routes or how it compare to google maps for planning out a route but will find out!

"able to cope when the battery goes flat or you drop the GPS in a river"

im a youngling and have never touched a physical map, or know what a compass is. i for sure in so many ways would go with the technoiglical solution so i either should prepare for one of these misfortunes or hope they don't happen =)

~
App solution

"re-route to your destination"

it routes while offline? well, anyhow i think more importantly is that it doesn't have biking specific directions...

like i know google maps gave good bike directions for this over-the-road bike path that curves a bit and stuff

and this other app, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapfactor.navigator -- 4.4, 160k reviews -- was really really bad and didn't do that

it completely missed that bike path, and gave the road path (i just bike and don't even have all the gears yet to start cycling and i usually ride on the sidewalk right now)

for https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand it was SO un-user-friendly that i couldn't even figure out how to do muti-route

or even find how to get directions

or even put in the address i wanted to put in...

this is dated http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/google-maps-vs-cyclestreets-battle-for-the-best-route-planner/

and doesn't look like they have any recent reviews http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/features/

~
Garmin solution

i'm sure that the recently released Garmin Edge Touring does all the minimal needs that the garmin 800 and others would do

"wiggle to get it for.." -- think it's about the same on amazon

the only reason why i didn't already get it is because in the near future a mobile app with the minimal needs would likely be developed or improve

and i just feel bad getting a garmin if that happens sooner rather than later

for the beeps,
"You'd also not hear it well with wind and traffic"
"hear all those beeps on the busiest of A roads with men and jack hammers doing road works next to you"

i don't know which is accurate but this is definitely a problem if it doesn't have a headjack plug thing

definitely need something around like mid-Feb to end of Fed for --

* exploring various places
* training on bike trails

~
i get lost SO MUCH ='(

can't go anywhere > 2 mile and only 1 destination (some streets don't have signs and other problems)
edge touring any day literally just come back from a quick spin with mine, no need for navigation as i already know the route but all other features are great and the navigation is incredible when i need it and when i have used it and i plan to use mine to cycle end to end next year :biggrin: :bicycle:
even if an app does come along shortly battery life is a major issue for all smart phones and also the screen on the touring is more matt like a kindle to avoid sun glare and it works great and is still very visible
is on sale for £180 at wiggle atm
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-touring-gps-cycle-computer/
where i got mine from and is just great service! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

PpPete

Legendary Member
In terms of apps I've been experimenting with OSMAnd on an Android Tablet.
The voice instructions are pretty dire but otherwise not bad.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Horses for courses as the saying goes - but in my opinion spending nigh on £200 for a Garmin is excessive if you have a good smart phone. I have a Galaxy and it works for about 6 hours if used as a sat nav. I use a few different apps. If lost Google maps can give voice directions to a set place. I like Viewranger as a navigational tool - particularly when walking. CycleStreets.org allows you to plan a route and can give turn by turn directions. If battery life is an issue, there are a number of back up packs that you can buy for about £15 that will keep your phone running for a whole day.

young Ed

Veteran
i guess if you have an okay smart phone and have a suitable waterproof bars case and can maintain it's battery running a gps for a suitable time then fair enough but the thing is i want to use it for multi day tours and i only have a sh** nokia brick with a half broken screen! and even if i could get a andrid smart phone suitable for the job cheaper than my garmin i wanted the real deal and i can just chuck my unprotected nokia in my jersey back pocket and may well sit on it a few times and nothing happens and it could easily survive a little splash!
Cheers Ed

AndyPeace

Its always on for me, I just import my routes as a .tcx file and use Menu/Courses/Go. If you find out how to turn it on I'd love to know as to be honest sometimes it can be a bit over zealous and I'd like the option of turning it off!

You can switch turn directions on/off by selecting <courses> from the main menu, select the course you wish to follow, or if already following a course select <review course> this will lead to a map screen , at the bottom of which is a spanner icon, select this...this will allow you to switch <turn directions> and <off course warnings> on/off. You can also refine the units auto routing, by going to the main menu and selecting the <spanner icon> selecting <system> then <routing>

Top Bottom