GPS / SatNav - worth it for route calculation, not fitness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would recommend one, though I was a fairly late convert.
I cycle in a more relaxed way since I started using one so they don't have to be about performance.
In fact beware many of the pricier models, as promoted by bikeshops, for they often have performance features you don't need if you are not into that sort of cycling.
You don't have to pay a lot at all - though bikeshops etc don't like you to know this - I can recommend the Etrex 20/30 series.
@Vantage uses one I think. I have the feeling that we have similar views on them - good, has some quirks but they can be lived with. Doesn't make you faster.
Simple. Great free maps available. Can be used as a hand-held for other pursuits.

I would recommend one, though I was a fairly late convert.
I cycle in a more relaxed way since I started using one so they don't have to be about performance.
Thanks, your reply is helpful. I was a bit worried they might be entirely focused on performance instead of enjoying the ride for its own sake. Thanks also for the suggestions on which ones to look at etc. Very encouraging.

Thanks, your reply is helpful. I was a bit worried they might be entirely focused on performance instead of enjoying the ride for its own sake. Thanks also for the suggestions on which ones to look at etc. Very encouraging.
no probs - so much of the press coverage is on performance models - as that is where the money is for ads.
Reason I am more relaxed with mine:
1: I'm not looking at my speed in front of me all the time - that tended to make me like a rat in a wheel - in fact I have to flick through screens to see the speed.
2: As I know I won't have to keep stopping to look at a map (my goldfish mind can only hold about 3 turns) I'm not subconsciously racing to the next junction stop where I know I will lose time.
So my rides are overall faster I think whilst more relaxed.
Bike mounts are available for the Etrex 20/30 series.
They use standard AA batteries which can be rechargeables, so unless very silly you will never run out of power mid-ride.
No way would I spend overv £200 for a bike satnav for general purpose use - they can be had for a fair bit less.

Bike mounts are available for the Etrex 20/30 series.
They use standard AA batteries which can be rechargeables, so unless very silly you will never run out of power mid-ride.
No way would I spend overv £200 for a bike satnav for general purpose use - they can be had for a fair bit less.

I will look this up too. Ta.

Re rest of your reply, yes, I dont want things to become a race as its not my personal thing (but all the best to those that do enjoy it). I like to dawdle and dally and stop to look at things. I am motivated by the idea of not having to stop and unwind a map frequently if travelling complex country lanes (so many just fizzle out at a farm 3 miles down them!)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As @Blue Hills says I do indeed run an etrex30x. It's the higher end one in the range but it's no better than the 20x to be honest. Shoulda saved my pennies and stuck with the 20x.
Its very much a do all jack of all trades GPS. Can be used for walking, cycling and driving, sailing too I think.
It even has a list of places of interest (POI), local parks, museums, landmarks, shops indeed most things you can think of. Click on whatever takes your fancy and it'll direct a route there for you. The onscreen menu can be customized to show whatever info you desire.
Some folk mark it down for its small screen size and lack of processing power (it can be tediously slow) but other than those little issues, it's quite a handy wee gadget to have and is usually reliable. If/when it freezes up its a simple case of turning off and back on again.

I don't know if the Etrex does TBT routing or not.
It does, yes. But I've barely used it (preferring the "breadcrumb / purple tunnel" approach), so cannot really comment, except that it got me to a couple of foreign urban locations OK!

The eTrex seems to be thousands of times more reliable than the bike-specific Garmins. (or "Gremlins" as many owners affectionately call them!) The younger contenders are beginning to show up in the defect statistics now, so I'm in no hurry to rubbish Garmins in general.

Budget modern consumer electronics - is it ever bulletproof??

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Yep, we use Garmin 130's. I look at an OS map first to get the idea then the Garmin software and pop the route onto the device. The 130 only does a so called breadcrumb route but I have yet to go wrong with it even through very minor twisty lanes and if you miss a turn it tells you straight away. Sometimes I pop a map into my pocket as well but never need it.

Top Bottom