GPS watch for running and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iendicott

Hi all,

My wife is after a GPS watch she can use for login her run location, it must have a heart monitor and connect to a PC for downloading the results. I have seen Garmin 405CX which looks like a good watch but the battery life is poor or so the reviews I have seen say so.

Has anyone else got one preferably Garmin or maybe polar that is suitable for a women and logs the miles calories heart rate etc ?

Can spend upto around £300 pounds but want something compact...

Thanks Ivan

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Garmin Forerunner 310XT

It does everything she could ever want, and also usable on a bike and supports a cadence sensor! Support for a power meter on a bike to if ever required.

The newest version comes with a swim proof heart rate strap.

About £240-260 with the chest strap.

jimheaney57

I have to agree on the Garmin 310XT. A super piece of kit. I've only recently got it having upgraded from a lesser model of Garmin.

The associated web site for downloading, storing & reviewing your training is the business as well.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
jimheaney57 said:
I have to agree on the Garmin 310XT. A super piece of kit. I've only recently got it having upgraded from a lesser model of Garmin.

The associated web site for downloading, storing & reviewing your training is the business as well.

I wish I'd hung on longer and got one, I have an Edge 500, but the 310XT is an awesome bit of kit, at the time I couldnt afford to plump for it though.

rb58

Enigma
I have a Garmin 305 Forerunner. Does all those things and I've no battery problems for the couple of years I've had it. Some good prices around at the moment too. Can't swim with it though.

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

All checked out the FR310XT but it is huge, I can get the 405cx at a shop close by for £227 inc vat. Spoke to Garmin helpline and the 405cx sounds like an awesome piece of kit.

The 310XT would be fine for just me but as the wife is using it mainly we need a watch that is fairly sleek.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Will1985

Über Member
Got a 310XT - it is chunky, but works nicely. Not as many display options as the 500 or 705 but enough. Downloading files is actually better IMO as you do it wirelessly.

The new improved quick release strap for changing between sports adds a couple of mm to the height but fits nicely into the twistlock 500 style mounts.

The 405CXs other flaw, aside from battery life, is that the touch bezel sometimes doesn't react if you have wet or sweaty hands.

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

Will1985 said:
The 405CXs other flaw, aside from battery life, is that the touch bezel sometimes doesn't react if you have wet or sweaty hands.

Interesting. It's supposed to be splash proof as well. I think the 310XT is fully water proof though isn't it ?

jimheaney57

iendicott said:
I think the 310XT is fully water proof though isn't it ?

Yes you can swim with it on.

OP
OP
iendicott

iendicott

Stu,

Not to sure it tracks your route though !
Will be picking up the 405cx tonight so see how it goes. Got it for £227 from Handtec.co.uk which is just down the road form where I work.
Brownie points with the misses ;)

redcard

Veteran
Thought I'd raise this thread from the dead, as I can't see any more recent.

Any recommendations in the £100-£200 bracket?

Is the 310XT still a decent purchase?

Top Bottom