GPS watch or Computer???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinyadas

Regular
Good evening all,

Just wondering if I have GPS watch that I can set up for cycling do people also get a cycle computer as well or just use their watch???

Cheers Richard

fr305 user here because I also run. So I just have the watch which can also do basic navigation i.e. beeping when you get to a turn.

OP
OP
Spinyadas

Spinyadas

Regular
Thanks crackle I run also and have the Garmin 310xt which I think does cycling might have to get instructions out lol. Just wondered what others did .

Thanks crackle I run also and have the Garmin 310xt which I think does cycling might have to get instructions out lol. Just wondered what others did .
It definitely does. Normally holding the lap button down gives you a choice of modes, running, cycling, swimming. If not the lap button, one of the others switches it. You just need a simple handlebar mount. I use one of the plain rubber ones shaped to go on the bars with a flatish section on top for the watch. Garmin do their own.

31gJOZ0CwcL._SY300_.jpg

OP
OP
Spinyadas

Spinyadas

Regular
It definitely does. Normally holding the lap button down gives you a choice of modes, running, cycling, swimming. If not the lap button, one of the others switches it. You just need a simple handlebar mount. I use one of the plain rubber ones shaped to go on the bars with a flatish section on top for the watch. Garmin do their own.

31gJOZ0CwcL._SY300_.jpg
Brilliant thanks mate

I use a Fenix or Ambit when travelling as it allows me to record where I have been and geotag my photos

However neither has the ease of use that a Garmin edge has for when n the bike

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Steve has the right of it. My pal at work uses a GPS watch on his bike, but quite likes the idea of a larger display that can accomodate more fields, and possibly mapping capabilities.

Steve has the right of it. My pal at work uses a GPS watch on his bike, but quite likes the idea of a larger display that can accomodate more fields, and possibly mapping capabilities.
I do myself and I wouldn't ultimately advise the op one way or the other. Merely that he can use his current watch.

I myself can't really justify two devices though, whereas the watch is very useful on the bike, running, walking etc.. I also have a wired cateye bike computer on the bike because I find the gps reading on my watch lags slightly when displaying speed but it is an old device now and I'm sure the op's 310 is better. Both do breadcrumb trails, so you can load a tcx file from something like ridewithgps and get simple turn directions. Likewise you can navigate between waypoints when walking. It all depends what you want I guess, horses for courses.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If you don't want to record heart rate, cadence etc. But want a turn by turn GPS which records your routes and allows you to plot routes onto it via PC or even select addresses or POI on the move. Then Get a Garmin Touring. I have one and it is excellent.

If you want the heat rate cadence etc. Get a Garmin Touring Plus.

Top Bottom