GPX/TCX/TCR to Google Maps with Directions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
If you're heading fast downhill with the wind in your ears the chances are you're not going to hear turn-by-turn directions a proximity alert. You need to have an idea of where you're going (so you can look out for road signs), and have an idea of when there's a turn coming up. If you come to a junction glance down to check whether you need to change direction.

Kolb

Google maps in bike mode gives voice turn-by-turn directions. Unfortunately the google routes are not always the best, so you need to first check google's route against some other, better routing system (eg Cycle-Travel on a desktop). Quite often the google route will be different for only some of the journey, so it can be used for the other parts of the trip. In my fairly limited experience of using google it seems to be better for shorter distances. At any point on a trip you can input a destination in google maps that is not too far away. I've found it good at adhering to NCN routes where there is otherwise poor signposting.

Twowheelxtc

If its an iPhone you use then Pocket Earth is by far the best offline (no data required) Mapping App for cycling and as a bonus clearly shows shows every bike route in EU.. I tour long distance and now never take paper maps! Cots about £4......

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I use RWGPS on an iPhone 6 Plus. The turn by turn directions are far superior to Garnin. However, for that function you need to upgrade to the £80 per year package. It is worth it and so far has worked a treat.

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

I have given up trying to find an app that does what I want and am in the throws of getting one made for me. Once its up and running, I will probably put it on iTunes and sell it for a quid or something...

Thanks for your help - it was much appreciated. In fairness, I cant believe that this type of app hasn't been done before?

johnkr

Firstly, I am a newbie here, so please go gently with me.

I dont use a Garmin, but do use an phone, (with battery pack). I use an app that can import gpx maps, but although it shows me the route, If I am not looking at the map at the right time, I can miss turnings, (nearly always going down a steep hill). Does anyone know of a way of getting a .gps or ..tcx .tcr file to give turn by turn directions on Google Maps?

Can it be done? Does anyone do this?

Thanks,

GPSVisualizer - http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I don't use a Garmin
Why not? £50 will buy you a used Etrex Vista HcX on eBay. Mine did me fine for many years of cycle touring. Rainproof, easy to use, AA batteries available anywhere. OSMAnd maps available free. Can also fit OSMfiets maps for Belgium and Netherlands and they have the knoopunkt numbering system on them. As navigation devices mobiles are stratospherically expensive and fragile, not to mention not very good.
You've spent hundreds on the bike and more on the costs of a cycle tour, why not spent a fraction of that on a decent way to navigate?

The best solution I have found (Android only) is an app on Google's Play Store, called “Bike Tracker” from PC Ability, which I have now used to successfully guide me round probably about a dozen rides, of between 20 and 50 miles. Best thing ... it's FREE ! It works with both GPX and TCX files.

The app works with RideWithGPS on your PC, one of the few mapping tools that automatically produces the “cue” sheets required for turn by turn navigation. Here you can find loads of routes in your area and just take a copy of the GPX file, or edit the route to make a new GPX file, make your own route from scratch and create a GPX file, or you can import GPX files from any other source on the internet. Its worth checking that the GPX file has “cues” at each junction, telling you to “turn left” / “turn right” / “go straight ahead” / “stop for a pint at the White Lion pub” or whatever. These are the instructions you will hear while cycling the route. If any “cues” are missing, you can add new ones (or edit/delete existing ones).

To follow a route, start the Bike Tracker app on your phone. You can download the routes you have created with RideWithGPS to your phone while still at home, using your wifi, and then just load the route when you are ready to ride. The app does not use your phone signal, it just uses the GPS signal on your phone. Press the GPS button on the screen, and when ready, press the Start button. The app will give you rough directions to the start point of the route, and once at the start, the “cues” created on the route will then guide you round the route. Enjoy the ride.

To hear the turn instructions, I bought a waterproof Bluetooth loudspeaker mounted on my handlebars (mine was off Amazon for £20 which is also a headlight). My phone is stashed safely in my bag and does not provide any distraction - I don't need to constantly check a map, as the app will tell me if I have strayed off the route and gives instructions on how to get back to the route. Alternatively, you could mount your phone on your handlebars, or use earphones (the new bone conducting Bluetooth earphones are probably the best option, as you can still hear traffic noise around you).

"Bike Tracker" - works for me. Try it.

Top Bottom