GPX/TCX/TCR to Google Maps with Directions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stegabyte

Firstly, I am a newbie here, so please go gently with me.

I dont use a Garmin, but do use an phone, (with battery pack). I use an app that can import gpx maps, but although it shows me the route, If I am not looking at the map at the right time, I can miss turnings, (nearly always going down a steep hill). Does anyone know of a way of getting a .gps or ..tcx .tcr file to give turn by turn directions on Google Maps?

Can it be done? Does anyone do this?

Thanks,

outlash

also available in orange
Welcome to CC :smile:. You could use a site & app called Ride with GPS (GWGPS). You can import routes or make your own and use your phone for turn by turn navigation.

OSMAnd does what you want (assuming you are on android, the iphone version is a bit less featured). It's good because it can work offline, so it will keep working without a signal or if you are overseas, no roaming fees.

Google maps will only give you it's own directions. You might be able to force it to follow your route, if you specify enough intermediate points, but even then it might not work.

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

Jefmcg,
Thanks for that. I have downloaded it, but unfortunately, I am on iphone - I cant find an option for importing maps? I will have a play around and see what I can come up with.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

You will be able to import maps, but it won't address your problem. Turn by turn directions aren't in the iPhone version yet
Damn, Damn and Damn!!!

Thanks anyway.

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

OSMAnd does what you want (assuming you are on android, the iphone version is a bit less featured). It's good because it can work offline, so it will keep working without a signal or if you are overseas, no roaming fees.

Google maps will only give you it's own directions. You might be able to force it to follow your route, if you specify enough intermediate points, but even then it might not work.
jefmcg,
Are you able to tell me how to operate the app? I cant find out how to follow a route? I am using an iphone (which apparently makes a bit of a difference?)

Thanks,

Simon

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

jefmcg,
Are you able to tell me how to operate the app? I cant find out how to follow a route? I am using an iphone (which apparently makes a bit of a difference?)

Thanks,

Simon

Jefmcg,

Sadly, it seems that the navigation is only supported by Android devices, not IOS - if it is, I certainly have no idea how?

Any other recommendations?

:0)

Stegabyte

I'm android only. OSMAnd is an long standing android app, and I think it's very early on the iphone. It looks like you should be able to display your GPX file on the map, and follow it's line, without turn guidance. So it's no better than what you have already.

Another thing is the turn guidance on OSMAnd is good, but it's not perfect, at least from GPX files. It doesn't tell you to go straight through a roundabout, but just tells you how to follow the line (eg "Turn left then in 20 metres turn right"). It also is a bit random when a road goes off at anything less than right angles: the one it decides is straight ahead might be the one that the lines on the road indicate is a turn off. So I still need to look at the screen a lot.

Having your phone on your handlebar helps a lot. I'm very happy with topeak drybags for smartphones.

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

I have Map following on my main app, (CycleMeter), which is excellent, the problem is that if I am bombing down a hill, I tend to forget to look at the map and end up putting miles and miles on my journey - which is really frustrating. I am doing a big ride soon, (200+) and cant bare the thought of adding an extra 20 miles on because of missing turns. Hence my desperation for a bike 'TomTom'.
I use the ToePeak Console, (had one for the iphone 4, 5, 6 - love them. Extremely good on a mountain bike - you can get the bike afterwards and not worry about getting the phone wet!)

OP
OP
Stegabyte

Stegabyte

Welcome to CC :smile:. You could use a site & app called Ride with GPS (GWGPS). You can import routes or make your own and use your phone for turn by turn navigation.
Does this speak the directions, or does it just point, or is it just a follow the map and hope you dont miss a turn?

outlash

also available in orange
It does, but there's always the issue of hearing the instructions especially in traffic. I don't use any apps for that. My own personal preference is if I have to use turn by turn navigation (which is very rare), I load the route onto my Garmin and listen out for the proximity sound which prompts me to take a look at it.

Top Bottom