Graeme obree....best cyclist you've never heard of?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, but ... we HAVE all heard of him! :thumbsup::laugh:

Shadowmaster, just checking, you have heard of Beryl Burton haven't you ?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Really!must be just people I speak to then?a few people I speak to have heard the name,but know nothing of his achievements. He should be a household name really!

Not even in cycling households, my wife has no cycling interest and has never heard of him, she's no idea who Malcolm Elliott or Brian Robinson are either. But you are posting about a fascinating character in the recent history of cycling on a cycling site, don't be surprised to find you're a bit at the back of the queue for having heard of him. He could have been Boardman like familiar outside of our little world but his brief flirtation with the world of pro cycling didn't really work out and its only selected bits of that world that the media pick up on. TDU is in full swing right now, Cav wins his first race of the season.... not a blip on the news, a has been doper with a profile wants to play at the table again and its all over the same media ignoring current events. Is all you need to know why no bugger outside of us lot has heard of Obree.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadow master

Not even in cycling households, my wife has no cycling interest and has never heard of him, she's no idea who Malcolm Elliott or Brian Robinson are either. But you are posting about a fascinating character in the recent history of cycling on a cycling site, don't be surprised to find you're a bit at the back of the queue for having heard of him. He could have been Boardman like familiar outside of our little world but his brief flirtation with the world of pro cycling didn't really work out and its only selected bits of that world that the media pick up on. TDU is in full swing right now, Cav wins his first race of the season.... not a blip on the news, a has been doper with a profile wants to play at the table again and its all over the same media ignoring current events. Is all you need to know why no bugger outside of us lot has heard of Obree.
Totally agree,I suppose this was an era where cycling had even less TV coverage!what I find amazing is the ideas he put into place that were thought too be a bit off the wall,are now common place in manufacturing and time trailing, and track racing,with no credit at all..e.g aerodynamics,outboard bearings,clipless pedals,aero bars,tuck posistion.I suppose just like great artists they all suffer rejection in there own lifetime!

Top Bottom