Grand National

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Arthur won!!! He's won us £50!! Not bad for a baby! Especially when I won 100-1 last year with Mon Mome!!

domd1979

Veteran
Wigsie said:
Cruelty to the horses aside

Why?

4 horses dead at Aintree this past couple of days, 3 of them yesterday.

Prudent Honour and Plaisir D'Estruval fell and broke their neck, Schindlers Hunt broke its leg and was put down, Pagan Starprincess fell and put down with spinal injuries.

All in the name of entertainment, so that's alright then.

buggi

Bird Saviour
why do they carry on without the rider if they don't enjoy it? you wouldn't stay off the bike for fear of falling off?

my horse didn't even start. obviously he didn't want to run today.

Arch

Married to Night Train
buggi said:
why do they carry on without the rider if they don't enjoy it?

Well, I think partly, it's a herd thing. If you are part of a herd, you run with it, or get eaten, and their instincts are strong.

I've always assumed that was the reason behind the horse that joined the cycle race:

http://www.maniacworld.com/horse-racing-in-the-tour-de-france.html

(lousy quality vid, can't find a better one - but the clip is in the movie Amelie.)

By and large, I think a thoroughbred racehorse has a better life than many animals. It is sad if they die, but without racing, they wouldn't exist anyway - just as pigs wouldn't be needed if no one ate meat.

buggi

Bird Saviour
horse wins tour de france? love it.

the horses are well looked after, especially at that level. a mistreated horse is not gonna win. it is sad when they die though, but a lot has been done over the years to make the fences better

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm always astonished more horses and jockeys don't die - those falls look damn hard, and I know how high up the average hacking pony wth all 4 feet on the ground feels, let alone a thoroughbred flying over a fence.

I ran out of nerve at a gentle canter when I had riding lessons.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if you watch the slow motion of the jumps, the jockeys are literally standing up as they lean backwards as the horse lands on it's front feet.

BigSteev

domd1979 said:
Why?

Shame to waste 'em. Stoke up the BBQ or call the glue factory I say.

Picked the 4th place and think my one in the work sweep was the first faller so money back there.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was at my parents house watching it, and Dad was telling me that the jockey used to cycle 20 miles from his home to get to the stables where he rode.

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Bet a tenner overall £1 each way on 5 horses, 1 for Mrs Wigs 1 each for the boys and 2 for me.

The wife came 1st (£33.50), Wigs jnr 1 came 2nd (£12) but Wigs Jnr 2 retired and mine was 5th (gutted as stood to win £75 if he was placed).

So two of us were in stinking moods Saturday and two were annoying and happy! ;):evil:

domd1979 said:
Why?

Prudent Honour and Plaisir D'Estruval fell and broke their neck, Schindlers Hunt broke its leg and was put down, Pagan Starprincess fell and put down with spinal injuries.

All in the name of entertainment, so that's alright then.

I did not want a debate on the level of cruelty, if you do, make a new thread. :biggrin:

wafflycat

buggi said:
why do they carry on without the rider if they don't enjoy it? you wouldn't stay off the bike for fear of falling off?

my horse didn't even start. obviously he didn't want to run today.

Horses are herd animals. In the case of a race, the field of horses in the race is the effective herd.

Top Bottom