Grand National

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Wigsie, 9 Apr 2010.

1. Wigsie

Wigsie Nincompoop

Cruelty to the horses aside, this is the one time a year when I actually step foot in a betting shop!

Anyone having a flutter this year? I usually do it almost completely at random with just a couple of guidelines

£2 to win on a random 12/1 horse
    £1 to win on a random 100/1 horse (last year picked the wrong 100/1 one :tongue:)

I then usually bet another £5-£7 on horses that sound stupid.

2. PaulB

PaulB Guru

Mr. Ed?

3. OP
    OP
    Wigsie

Wigsie Nincompoop

3BM is racing in the national?

4. I was just perusing the happy photos of Lady's Day, courtesy of the Guardian.
    Have a look here - I like the 'multitasking' one!:blush:

Hello Bud & My Will - apparently...I don't even know how to bet, although I have seen dishevelled sorts pacing small circles, sucking roll-ups furtively, outside the betting 'shop' opposite work. Is this a prerequisite? I can do furtive at a pinch, but would choke on the smokes. :thumbsup:

And it is not sport. Like motor racing etc, darts, snooker - but we will not go there as it is a lovely sunny day...:tongue:

5. OP
    OP
    Wigsie

Wigsie Nincompoop

I have no clue either, which may be why I only go to a betting shop on the morning of the national as they have double staff on and they fillin the little slip for you. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I almost did not post, because I know someone will go off on one! :tongue::evil:

6. £300,000,000 betting on this nine minutes.

'Office Lunch' at 10 to 1 - seems a reasonable selection. :tongue:

Let's hope the Pinkie Browns shouting the odds don't walk away to envious glances from the wagering public!

7. Slowgrind

Slowgrind New Member

Where's me pin???????????

8. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

It should be banned, if horses like jumping fences why do they stay in theirs fields ???

9. Maggot

Maggot Guest

Because they are comfortable there. Do you think that wild horses come to a hedge and think, "Oh bollocks, now I 'm going to be eaten" Watch Zebras leaping about.

10. OP
    OP
    Wigsie

Wigsie Nincompoop

Did not really want to get into this, did not post a thread about the levels of cruelty in racing horses in P&L, just wondering if anyone else had methods of randomly selecting the horse they bet on it.

But as you did, you obviously have never been near many horses? If a horse does not want to jump a hedge it won't, if a horse does not want to stay in a field, it won't. :girl:;)

11. redjedi

redjedi Über Member

I usually pick by what jersey the jockey is wearing.

This year I like the look of Conna Castle

_47605284_connacastle.gif

Very Garmin-esque

12. OP
    OP
    Wigsie

Wigsie Nincompoop

Great method!

13. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

I haven't finished the last one yet, gasp!

14. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Team Noodley horses for the National:
    Black Apalachi (me)
    Flintoff (me)
    Don't Push It (Mrs Noodley)
    Dream Alliance (elder Noodlette)
    Conna Castle (younger Noodlette)

15. Hello Bud is my horse this year,used to be quite into horse racing but not bothered for many a year now,bar the National.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice