Grand National

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Cruelty to the horses aside, this is the one time a year when I actually step foot in a betting shop!

Anyone having a flutter this year? I usually do it almost completely at random with just a couple of guidelines

£2 to win on a random 12/1 horse
£1 to win on a random 100/1 horse (last year picked the wrong 100/1 one :tongue:)

I then usually bet another £5-£7 on horses that sound stupid.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Wigsie said:
I then usually bet another £5-£7 on horses that sound stupid.

Mr. Ed?

I was just perusing the happy photos of Lady's Day, courtesy of the Guardian.
Have a look here - I like the 'multitasking' one!:blush:

Hello Bud & My Will - apparently...I don't even know how to bet, although I have seen dishevelled sorts pacing small circles, sucking roll-ups furtively, outside the betting 'shop' opposite work. Is this a prerequisite? I can do furtive at a pinch, but would choke on the smokes. :thumbsup:

And it is not sport. Like motor racing etc, darts, snooker - but we will not go there as it is a lovely sunny day...:tongue:

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Aperitif said:
Hello Bud & My Will - apparently...I don't even know how to bet, although I have seen dishevelled sorts pacing small circles, sucking roll-ups furtively, outside the betting 'shop' opposite work. Is this a prerequisite? I can do furtive at a pinch, but would choke on the smokes. :smile:

I have no clue either, which may be why I only go to a betting shop on the morning of the national as they have double staff on and they fillin the little slip for you. :thumbsup:

Aperitif said:
And it is not sport. Like motor racing etc, darts, snooker - but we will not go there as it is a lovely sunny day...:blush:

Thanks, I almost did not post, because I know someone will go off on one! :tongue::evil:

OP
OP
Wigsie

Wigsie

Nincompoop
numbnuts said:
It should be banned, if horses like jumping fences why do they stay in theirs fields ???

Did not really want to get into this, did not post a thread about the levels of cruelty in racing horses in P&L, just wondering if anyone else had methods of randomly selecting the horse they bet on it.

But as you did, you obviously have never been near many horses? If a horse does not want to jump a hedge it won't, if a horse does not want to stay in a field, it won't. :girl:;)

redjedi

Über Member
I usually pick by what jersey the jockey is wearing.

This year I like the look of Conna Castle

_47605284_connacastle.gif

Very Garmin-esque

Noodley

Team Noodley horses for the National:
Black Apalachi (me)
Flintoff (me)
Don't Push It (Mrs Noodley)
Dream Alliance (elder Noodlette)
Conna Castle (younger Noodlette)

Noodley

Noodley said: