Grand union canal from Birmingham to Northampton-Info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would like to cycle from Northampton to Birmingham along the Grand Union Canal.
I read few posts/ blogs about cycling from Birmingham to London which will go through Northampton. They are fairly old and and most seem to suggest that route is not good in some areas and I may have to ride along the road on some sections.
Has any one done this recently?
Any information about the route, including where I can find a map will be very appreciated.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Apart from the fact that they are pretty flat, canal towpaths are fairly dull for a long ride, and normally a pretty poor rough surface, littered with walkers, and in a lot of places illegal to ride on unless you have a permit.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am a fan of canal path cycling. The Glasgow to Falkirk, and Falkirk to Edinburgh routes are one of my favourites up here.

However, Sustrans route 4 on the Kennet and Avon canal which I attempted about 5 years ago, still ranks as the WORST cycle tour I ever tried. So bad actually that I gave up at Hungerford and returned to London for a few days before my return train journey north. It was fine through Reading, but then when it gets into rural areas there were gates every few miles. Not just any gates, but specially designed gates - on a National Cycle Network - which weren't wide enough to get through with panniers! So at every gate it was a stop, remove panniers, go through gate with bike, return for panniers, refit them to bike and get on your way until the next gate .... It eventually got me seriously peed off. That, and the "path" being a worn track through a grassy field in places. Just a joke of a facility, IMHO..

I rode from new bradwell to long buckby on Friday.

The part from Northampton to long buckby was pretty rough in parts but manageable on my Genesis day one.

The paths could be awkward if wet in places. It depends on what bike your thinking of riding tbh.

Last week a chap rode from Birmingham to tring in a day on a hardtail mtb. I know because I was in the pub as he arrived.

It's doable, just take your time and enjoy. There's plenty of pubs etc along the way for grub/water so you could travel fairly light.

Good luck and keep us updated.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A lot of the canal banks are OK as the barge residents keep them well trodden. Once away from these areas though, the banks are rideable, in the right weather, but it can be heavy going. Apart from using roads due to tunnels, most of the tow paths are 'visible'.
Fit Slime tubes though, or you'll frequently be fixing punctures.
I've not got as far as Birmingham, but enjoy the challenge!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I did Birmingham to Northampton once by road. Was good, but started 06:30 on a Saturday morning, clear skies and a slight tailwind, with some of the best legs I have ever had, so not the most objective assessment of the route but nice from Daventry to Northampton.

You don't say what sort of bike you have, but generally my strong recommendation would be "don't". The GU towpath north of Northampton is good in a few parts - in particular, there's one section east of Leamington that's been improved as part of the NCN, and all the towpaths within the Birmingham city boundary are being upgraded - but pretty ropey in others.

At Lapworth, near Warwick, there are actually two canal routes into Birmingham: the Grand Union, and the Stratford (which in turn meets the Worcester & Birmingham). The latter is more cyclable, though still rough, and prettier too.

I'd suggest planning a country lane route and using the canals intermittently, rather than sticking to the canals throughout.

I would think that once out of Birmingham, it would be pretty scenic, I've done a road route also but cut through the countryside, along the canal in a couple of places.

You will need to go up and over the blisworth tunnel as there was no footpath through the tunnel, it's only about a mile and a half.

I'd say go for it, 60 odd miles of peace and quiet.

Top Bottom