Grass seed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
What do you try and protect newly sown grass seed with ? Back garden needs reseeding , was thinking of putting down some of that fleece stuff till it gets going !?

What do you try and protect newly sown grass seed with ? Back garden needs reseeding , was thinking of putting down some of that fleece stuff till it gets going !?

How big is the area?
You could you a large sheet/s of plastic ’tarpaulins’ covering the grass at night to keep frost at bay and open it up in the morning to give the grass heat, light and water.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you're concerned about temperature don't be. Grass seed will germinate when the soil temperature is 8⁰ or higher. Covering it with fleece will help the soil warm quicker.

If you're trying to keep birds off then use any lightweight fine meshed netting.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Don't know if it's feasible with a larger area but I read that you could mix the seed with damp compost in a bag until it germinates and then "sow" the tiny plants rather than seeds. I've done it to patch small areas of the lawn.

tom73

Guru
Another good way for small patchers is grow your own turf patch by sowing in a seed tray. Then once growing well lift out and drop the patch in place.

Drago

Legendary Member
I read somewhere that frost, provided it isn't too extreme or prolonged, isn't that big a deal for grass seed.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Another good way for small patchers is grow your own turf patch by sowing in a seed tray. Then once growing well lift out and drop the patch in place.

Surely it’s easier and less hassle to just buy a roll of turf for £5.

Top Bottom