Grass seed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Surely it’s easier and less hassle to just buy a roll of turf for £5.

Having seen the standard of much stuff that passers off as turf. You have full control over the quality and type of seed used. If it’s a small area you’d have a a good bit left over. if you garden anyway it’s no more hassle than sowing any thing else.

Daninplymouth

I’m going to have a go at fixing my garden have a few big holes from squirrels and a dead corner of grass which is now basically mud.
I don’t have a clue what I’m doing but is it as simple as filling in the hole with soil and then sprinkling seeds on top then another layer of soil?
With the bare patch would you just seed then soil over the top?
If I wanted to sprinkle some grass seed around the rest of the garden would you just scatter around and again loosely add soil over it?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don’t have a clue what I’m doing but is it as simple as filling in the hole with soil and then sprinkling seeds on top then another layer of soil?
With the bare patch would you just seed then soil over the top?

yes & yes, but it will help to dig a bit at the soil underneath so its less compacted for the new roots to take hold
If I wanted to sprinkle some grass seed around the rest of the garden would you just scatter around and again loosely add soil over it?

"Top dress" it. i.e. mix up a pile of top soil, sharp sand* and compost* (*optional but helps lawn quality), put the seeds in that and mix well, then spread it out over the rest of the patchy grass and the seeds will take and thicken it up. water daily until they take. don't cut it for 2- 3 weeks and even then do on a high setting for a while.

doing some aerating with a fork before the above will help overall lawn health.

Daninplymouth

Thanks all I will grab some soil with my seed and have a go the weekend. I did take a lot of the debris up last night cut it then tried to aerate it with some spiky shoe things

one of my problem areas is a mudslide on a slope behind our condo unit. it used to be a problematic grassy slope but since they started publicizing a walking trail, it got eroded w/o any grass. I improvised some crude steps & it is helping but I want to encourage the grass, more than ever

tough time of year for gardens. looking forward to raking & adding some new soil & maybe seeding around the mudslide where ppl walk
mudslide.jpg

Gillstay

Über Member
Anytime you weed out any grass from a border or path, just take the small or large clump and tread it into a bare patch on your lawn.
Works fine and saves wasting money on expensive seed.

Top Bottom