Gravel / Adventure Bike - ok on the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JSRossi

Regular
Only just joined and i am looking for advice already ....

I am getting back into cycling after a long break and, after initially setting my sights on a new road bike (with a budget of around £1K), i started reading about the Gravel bike which i didnt even know existed! Entirely new to me but, especially given that there are plenty of bridle paths and trails to explore in West Yorkshire with my kids, i think i have settled on that choice of bike when i can eventually source one.

My question is will my new gravel bike (likely to be a Boardman ADV 8.9 or similar) also give me a decent introduction to road riding?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

DRM

Guru
In a word, yes, the Boardman will be perfect for what you say are it's intended uses, it's not too aggressive geometry wise, but will still have a decent turn of speed on the tarmac when needed, the bike will upgrade nicely too if the bug bites :okay: and welcome to the forum as well

DRM

Guru
Just a thought if you do go for the Boardman, at one point Halfords were offering a £50 of accessories so if they still have that offer on it will help your budget go a bit further :okay: however it may no longer be on offer as it seems they can’t make bikes fast enough at the moment

I was looking at a CXR myself but they seem to be all sold out as soon as Halfords have them back in. For the price it looks really good. 1x11 with hydraulic brakes for 1k. I've ridden their entry level road sport bike and it is great.

If you're a British cycling member you get a 10 percent discount at Halfords or certainly used to. It makes a significant difference at that price.

I'm also thinking of a gravel bike as the next winter bike. Plenty of clearance for wide tyres and mudguards and in the summer the ability to ride all of the bumpy stuff.
My only concern is the gearing.
1* just doesn't seem enough on the road ? So I'm looking for a more conventional bike.

It's probably me just sticking to the things I know.

DRM

Guru
A lot of gravel bikes have a compact chain set with something like an 11-34 cassette so you still have the top speed with easier climbing ability , as does mine, it’s no slouch on tarmac, but it’s better for me uphill, and is more stable than an out and out race oriented road bike

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm also thinking of a gravel bike as the next winter bike. Plenty of clearance for wide tyres and mudguards and in the summer the ability to ride all of the bumpy stuff.
My only concern is the gearing.
1* just doesn't seem enough on the road ? So I'm looking for a more conventional bike.

It's probably me just sticking to the things I know.
Shouldn't be an issue seeing as people get around happily on anything from 1 gear to 30. As long as the top and bottom gear ratios suit your terrain then fine. The less drive-train complexity in a winter bike the better....

mustang1

Guru
Gravel bikes are basically road bikes with bigger clearances for bigger tyres.
Most likely it'll have 19mm rims which can support tyres as narrow as 28mm safely. People are increasingly finding that 32c tyres are just as quick as 28s and 25s.

The bike marketing industry doesn't know what's going on. First road bikes had really tight clearances and you couldn't fit wide tyres on.

Then the CX bike came along which was the do it all bike, only it had odd road geo to cater for high bottom brackets. Then the gravel bike came along which had road geo but clearance for wider tyres. And the aero bikes latest thing is wide forks so as not to disrupt airflow from the wheels so it's just like a gravel bike but with road skinny tyres but the frame isn't as aero.

But to answer the OP's q, yup, gravel bike seems to be a good fit for your intended use. Please ignore my ramblings that come about from time to time. ^_^

BigMeatball

My question is will my new gravel bike (likely to be a Boardman ADV 8.9 or similar) also give me a decent introduction to road riding?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have a gravel bike. I've only ever used it on the road and NEVER on gravel ^_^

Shouldn't be an issue seeing as people get around happily on anything from 1 gear to 30. As long as the top and bottom gear ratios suit your terrain then fine. The less drive-train complexity in a winter bike the better....
That's a very good point. I rode fixed for a few winters and loved it. Only hard part was fast descents where my legs couldn't keep up so I'd have to use the brakes to keep my cadence down. It jumped up hills though.

Top Bottom