Gravel / Adventure Bike - ok on the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I have a gravel bike. I've only ever used it on the road and NEVER on gravel ^_^
I don't know where you are, but there are some brilliant mixed routes to be found with a bit of research, I don't mind road riding, but it's nice to be where no internal combustion engined vehicles are allowed

BigMeatball

Yeah cool but I never said I was interested in trying gravel routes.

The point of my post was that you can indeed ride a gravel on road.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I use my Giant Revolt (2015) for winter commuting but I have enjoyed riding it around Forest of Dean trails and bridleways from time to time. I reckon I do about 1500 miles a year on the roads on it.

It came with 700x35 Schwalbe Smart Sams which roll quite well and give a soft compliant ride over bad road surfaces, and bomb along trails very nicely/confidently. On a 10 mile road commute I reckon on doing 16 mph, whereas with my TCR I might only do 1 or 2 mph more. Switching to 700-32 tyres doesn't make much difference to weight or speed and the bike's less comfortable/versatile.

It is a bit of a tank & I do notice the extra weight compared to my TCR carbon bike as you might expect. I have yet to use it on anything longer than about 25 miles as I think it would be more tiring than the lighter bike.

On family holidays, it has been up & down the Kirkstone Pass a few times and also descended and climbed the Pena Cabarga !

I think a lighter 10kg gravel bike would be great for majority all-year road use. Mine is about 12.5kg. If you're not doing longer rides then a heavier bike is fine.

If buying again I would look for thru-axles and at least TRP Spyres if not hydro disc brakes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom