Gravel bike advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I suspect the London Road might be 'one by' only.
Probably only as they don't have a surfeit of double chainsets/groupsets :ph34r:

Last edited:

alex_cycles

Veteran
The trouble with tyre sizes is that not all 30s, or any size, measure exactly the same when on a wheel.

Ain't that the truth? Reading the spec sheet on the Diverge E5 I bought it said you can fit 42mm tyres, so I bought some WTB 40s to be conservative. No clearance whatsoever at the seat tube:eek:. Ended up with 37s being usable (but they measure 38mm wide on my rims when inflated to minimum pressure).

Enigmaman

Regular
from the first review i google:
View attachment 614580
...what your saying is rather than a gravel bike, choose a gravel/adventure bike. :whistle:
I agree that may sound pedantic.

Nice bike BTW:okay:

A gravel bike is pretty much road bike, with reasonably relaxed geometry, with enough clearance for decent sized tyres, achieved with either disc brakes or Canti's. You could make a decent one out of a 80/90's steel road/touring frame as they had clearance for 1 3/8th tyres.
I'd recommend going for pannier lugs so you can use it for touring and off road adventure.

I have a carbon On One Space Chicken and use it for credit card touring with a pair of small Ortlieb panniers and it's really good ride.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ain't that the truth? Reading the spec sheet on the Diverge E5 I bought it said you can fit 42mm tyres, so I bought some WTB 40s to be conservative. No clearance whatsoever at the seat tube:eek:. Ended up with 37s being usable (but they measure 38mm wide on my rims when inflated to minimum pressure).
it will probably fit 42mm, provided they only have knobbles at the edges and not in the centre, which is a bit frigging useless:laugh:. I suspect it also means its tricky to fit a proper full mudguard if it has limited tyre to seat tube clearance. its also odd design, as giving a bit more clearance there means a slightly longer chain stay, which makes for a more stable bike off-road anyway

vickster

Legendary Member
I have 28s on there at the moment and they have plenty of room, so I am looking to see whether I can fit 30s.

The trouble with tyre sizes is that not all 30s, or any size, measure exactly the same when on a wheel.
My disc version has loads of clearance with 28mm Vittoria Paves. Could fit mudguards.
25s on rim version but I expect it could take 28s but not sure with the guards I have

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
So was my Tempest - but they put a double on for me.
Did they charge extra for this? It would mean a different left shifter, adding a front mech, cables etc. Reason I ask is that I am seriously considering a London Road Ti but preference would be a Ct double not a 1x

edit: you can ignore this now just pulled the trigger on the x1 off the shelf option

Last edited:
Did they charge extra for this? It would mean a different left shifter, adding a front mech, cables etc. Reason I ask is that I am seriously considering a London Road Ti but preference would be a Ct double not a 1x

As Vickster said they might not actually have any double chain sets

Also gawd knows how little profit they must be making on that unless they bought in huge quantities before the current issues.

Last edited:
As Vickster said they might not actually have any double chain sets

Also gawd knows how little profit they must be making on that unless they bought in huge quantities before the current issues.
They just don't bother fitting the 1x groupset and fit a double groupset at whatever the cost difference was.

Obviously it does depend on them having the GS available. They can't fit what they haven't got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom