Gravel bike advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ade towell

All good points and a few extra for a bit of Bob and Paul - if you've got the money then yes go for it although some folk I know aren't so lucky with the brakes and indexing being bang on for both sets of wheels

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hey folks . Been pondering recently about buying a new winter bike and keeping my current winter bike stuck to the turbo its on now. but today I was marshalling at a club cx race and thought mabye buy a bike that does both . Not a full cyclo-cross bike as I wouldn't be racing but mabye somthing that can do parks and also club spins In winter . Would a gravel bike be the best choice and a quick change of wheels for the road days . Can anyone suggest the way to go .. thanks .

Rather than a gravel bike being the best choice I would argue a bike suitable for both winter road riding and gravel would be the best choice. This may sound pedantic but I feel there is a difference. I purchased a Kinesis Tripster ATR for this very purpose and it definitely ticks all the boxes.

Choose the right wheels and tyres in the first place and you won't need to swap wheels for your road days. I ride Schwalbe G-One Allround 35mm and can knock out 20mph if I have to but I prefer not to - seems fast enough for winter riding to me.

OP
OP
Trigger369

Trigger369

Über Member
Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas . Have a better idea of what I want and need now so time to start looking at bikes . Many thanks agian

alex_cycles

Veteran
I recently bought a 2018 Diverge E5 sport for exactly this - "gravel plus winter". 2 sets of wheels - one with the 30mm stock Espoirs, which seem OK on the road and another set with 37mm nobblies for the fun stuff. Took about 3 weeks to find one the right size on Gumtree within 100 miles of my house. 2nd-hand bikes are holding their value well at the moment, but you get more for your money as long as it's in good condition (this one hadn't been used much at all).

Enigmaman

Regular
Given the appalling state of the roads that most of us cyclists tend to prefer, gravel is way to go.

I have a triple ring Ti but since buying a carbon gravel during the first lockdown the Ti has become a dreamcatcher in the roof of the garage.

Given the appalling state of the roads that most of us cyclists tend to prefer, gravel is way to go.

I have a triple ring Ti but since buying a carbon gravel during the first lockdown the Ti has become a dreamcatcher in the roof of the garage.
That's just like me with my carbon Genesis Datum gravel bike and my steel Equilibrium.

I doubt if it is the bike, as the Equilibrium is great, it can only be the larger tyres, so I will try to find out the widest tyres I can get on that.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's just like me with my carbon Genesis Datum gravel bike and my steel Equilibrium.

I doubt if it is the bike, as the Equilibrium is great, it can only be the larger tyres, so I will try to find out the widest tyres I can get on that.
Probably 28 with mudguards, maybe 30 without

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rather than a gravel bike being the best choice I would argue a bike suitable for both winter road riding and gravel would be the best choice. This may sound pedantic but I feel there is a difference. I purchased a Kinesis Tripster ATR for this very purpose and it definitely ticks all the boxes.
from the first review i google:
1634893006152.png

...what your saying is rather than a gravel bike, choose a gravel/adventure bike. :whistle:
I agree that may sound pedantic.

Nice bike BTW:okay:

A gravel bike is pretty much road bike, with reasonably relaxed geometry, with enough clearance for decent sized tyres, achieved with either disc brakes or Canti's. You could make a decent one out of a 80/90's steel road/touring frame as they had clearance for 1 3/8th tyres.

Top Bottom