Gravel Bike suitable for touring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
You say that, but while I've not checked the prices, some of the push bikes under consideration might not be a great deal cheaper then a budget gravel ebike.

I agree recharging on a tour could be a nuisance, but the idea of the light assist roadie ebikes is they can (almost) be ridden as a normal bike.

Weights are around 10/12kg, say an extra 2-3kg, which is not a lot in the context of a loaded tourer.

A steel tourer could even be heavier than a roadie ebike.

Out of interest can you buy one with all the necessary mounts for their £1750 maximum budget?

GuyBoden

Guru
Just put the biggest tyres possible and largest range of gears on your normal road bike.

1.gif

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Out of interest can you buy one with all the necessary mounts for their £1750 maximum budget?

Others know this market better than me, but I suspect the short answer is 'no'.

A discounted/last year's model is still going to be over £2,000, and loads of mounts do not always feature.

More choice closer to £3k, but I think for this query it's a case of 'as you were'.

Last edited:
They are young without health issues afaik, they don't need electric assistance!!

I'm relatively young, and I have no health issues I'm aware of. I quite like having the option of taking my ebike when I'm going somewhere, and very often I like to just switch the motor off and ride it like a normal cargo bike. It was actually a bit of a thrill when I rode my bike with pannier bags full of slates and a lump hammer up a really steep hill and realised I had forgotten to switch it back on again. I felt really fit!

In fact, getting the ebike after losing a lot of confidence has been my gateway to riding my unassisted bike more.

Frankly, if you're talking about carrying camping gear discussions about bike weight starts to feel a bit pointless. Although I would say my ebike has a triple. I wouldn't be riding any bike with a single ring up any of the hills in Belper!

Top Bottom