Gravel Bike suitable for touring.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
Even more confusing if you zoom in on the picture - looks like a single chain ring (certainly not a 30/46) with a front changer.
Untitled.png

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m sure Merlin could clarify with a phone call :smile:

D

Deleted member 1258

Even more confusing if you zoom in on the picture - looks like a single chain ring (certainly not a 30/46) with a front changer.
View attachment 693847

Strange! You can see a front changer but not a second ring, I'll have look at it on the main computer with the big screen and see what else I can see, currently on my phone.

D

Deleted member 1258

Strange! You can see a front changer but not a second ring, I'll have look at it on the main computer with the big screen and see what else I can see, currently on my phone.

I've looked at the picture on my main computer, 27" screen and I can definitely see a front changer but not a small ring. :wacko:

D

Deleted member 1258

That's what I thought (on my teeny laptop :P ) - either it's been 'shopped, or someone bolted on the 1x chainset just to take pics. And was in a hurry!

Either they were in a hurry or they knew nothing about bikes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How about one of the light assist (relatively) lightweight roadie ebikes?

That would save any worries about how many teeth are on a cog, and a gravel style one would have plenty of room for heavier duty touring tyres.

It appears quite a few riders of these bikes only deploy the motor when the going gets tough, meaning they can complete longish day rides with plenty of battery capacity left.

Another advantage would be the ability to more easily lug a touring load.

Last edited:

Sallar55

Veteran
The question is where are they going when abroad? Is it the Pyrenees or Holland that will decide the gearing . And 2 weeks loaded up is not like a few days away on the bike.

46/30 with a 36 cog on the back would be my preference loaded up.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll say a 1x chainset would really hiss me off. The range is there with MTB and road, but for me it's the gaps, I hate them. 2x as a minimum for me. Makes the bike far more useable generally (gravel or MTB where I live)

Jameshow

Veteran
How about one of the light assist (relatively) lightweight roadie ebikes?

That would save any worries about how many teeth are on a cog, and a gravel style one would have plenty of room for heavier duty touring tyres.

It appears quite a few riders of these bikes only deploy the motor when the going gets tough, meaning they can complete longish day rides with plenty of battery capacity left.

Another advantage would be the ability to more easily lug a touring load.

They are young without health issues afaik, they don't need electric assistance!!

Let them get there under there own steam!
What us the world coming to!!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They are young without health issues afaik, they don't need electric assistance!!

Let them get there under there own steam!
What us the world coming to!!

That attitude is becoming increasingly out moded.

There's a long way to go, but I can foresee a time when fully integrated electric assistance will be seen as just another option when buying a bicycle.

Come on granddad, get with the programme.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
They are fit 30 year olds. I doubt they would want e-bikes for touring.
What if they choose to tour and wild camp some days, how would they charge their bikes?
Fully loaded and without charge it would be a heck of a heavy lump to pedal.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

You say that, but while I've not checked the prices, some of the push bikes under consideration might not be a great deal cheaper then a budget gravel ebike.

They are fit 30 year olds. I doubt they would want e-bikes for touring.
What if they choose to tour and wild camp some days, how would they charge their bikes?
Fully loaded and without charge it would be a heck of a heavy lump to pedal.

I agree recharging on a tour could be a nuisance, but the idea of the light assist roadie ebikes is they can (almost) be ridden as a normal bike.

Weights are around 10/12kg, say an extra 2-3kg, which is not a lot in the context of a loaded tourer.

A steel tourer could even be heavier than a roadie ebike.

Top Bottom