Gravel Bikes...........anyone got a new(ish) one..........any thoughts ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Doesn't really mean how much "gravel" (read mud in UK) you want to do? Or is it a road bike that's comfortable can take chunky tyres if you wanted, mudguards, higher head tube. I get really frustrated with the bikes marketed as endurance, surely if it was endurance it would take proper guards who whats to endure getting soaked from all angles on a long ride. When Specialized launched their all new super Roubaix I was expecting it to now take guards.

I have had my Supersix over plenty of rough terrain, most bikes can do it. It wasn't that bad! If you want really rough almost MTB then full Gravel the way to go. They came about because in the USA they have loads of Fire roads grevel so great to adventure out on those, but the UK?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Gravel bikes are known as Sustrans bikes in the UK. Enable you to tackle any Sustrans route with confidence.

pjd57

Veteran
I bought Halfords cheapest CX.
A Voodoo Limba almost 6 months ago.
Wanted something different from my hybrid.

Only regret now is maybe not spending a bit more.
I didn't want to chuck money at it in case I didn't like the drop bars and higher seat position.
Loved it straight away.

Done a good few miles on it already , probably close to 100 a week, so I will be needing a new one in a year or two.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
My brother has a Trek Crossrip, which was classified as a gravel bike at the time (I think now they call it a 'light tourer' or something), and he loves it. It is zippy and has mounts for racks and mudguards (he commutes and is car-free), does well on roads and trails. Very versatile and has nice features like cables inside the tubes and disc brakes. If I were comfortable on drop bars I would probably enjoy it. He highly recommends it!

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My brother has a Trek Crossrip, which was classified as a gravel bike at the time (I think now they call it a 'light tourer' or something), and he loves it. It is zippy and has mounts for racks and mudguards (he commutes and is car-free), does well on roads and trails. Very versatile and has nice features like cables inside the tubes and disc brakes. If I were comfortable on drop bars I would probably enjoy it. He highly recommends it!
Are there no flat bar equivilents?? (Not checked that option myself)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
A 27.5 mtb with wtb horizons or byways and your good to go.........

You get some cracking cube frames on bike discount.de to make a superb base for the type of bike you require and then add the groupset and wheels of your choice. When mine is finished in the week I will post up a picture. It's got di2 too

Bodhbh

Guru

The Cotic Roadrat would fit the bill. ofc if you're building up from the frame up just buy a size or so bigger.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lovely looking bike!

Does, however, do that really annoying thing of claiming to be Rival (in this case), but then using an Apex crank and cheaper cassette.
I think it’s the 1x11 thing

The Alu one is pretty too

Top Bottom