Gravel bikes - I'm a convert!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Most of my riding is a mixture of road and off road, I haven't got a Gravel bike but I have 2 CX bikes and a fully rigid MTB.
I sold the road bikes as they were not getting used, for road use I have some wheels with 32mm tyres, but the 38mm Schwalbe are good on road or off, I have mud guards on one CX which is OK with 36mm tyres, I can't see me returning to close clearance road frames anytime soon.

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
One thing I prefer is the flexibility in riding and setup gravel bikes provide.

Most of my riding is a mixture of road and off road, I haven't got a Gravel bike but I have 2 CX bikes and a fully rigid MTB.
I sold the road bikes as they were not getting used, for road use I have some wheels wit 32mm tyres, but the 38mm Schwalbe are good on road or off, I have mud guards on one CX which is OK with 36mm tyres, I can't see me returning to close clearance road frames anytime soon.

Prior to buying my CGR, I was '365-ing' on a 'blue 7005' (aka Preston), that's running on a reasonably nice pair of Vision Team 30 wheels & Schwalbe Lugano '23' tyres
He went/rolled well enough to stay with groups of the local Triathlon Club, on their good bikes, especially on the local hilly rides

Then I went to the CGR, on '28' Durano PP
For the first few weeks, it seemed like a mistake, & was akin to riding a Chopper
All 'drag' & an upright position

Okay I know that the geometry is quite different to Preston, I bought on top-tube 'length', but even with 2 spacers removed, it's still over an inch higher than Preston, & that still has all three in place!

He's got quite a short head-tube though (& longer forks to allow for larger tyres/mudguard clearance)

Venod

Eh up
He went/rolled well enough to stay with groups of the local Triathlon Club, on their good bikes

For the first few weeks, it seemed like a mistake

I dropped on the Wednesday cafe ride last week I was on the 32mm tyres (they measure 34mm on the rim) I kept up OK for the short distance I was with them, but I did notice it was a bit harder than it used to be on my dedicated road bike running 25mm, I have come to terms with losing about 1to 2 mph off my average speed, but the comfort afforded by wider lower presure tubeless tyres is a big plus and most of my riding is done solo nowadays, If I returned to regular group riding I would have to go back to narrower tyres and less comfort.

Ken Cowdell was on the front and although he is now over 70 he can still make it hurt.

Top Bottom