Gravel bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Large ring of 42t means you'd spin out at relatively low downhill speeds, even with a 11-32 cassette.
https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...25,28,32&UF=2215&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&DV=teeth
Suggests spin out at about 30mph (assumes max cadence is 100rpm - your souplesse may vary).
Have a play with the calculator (eg to look at a triple, but NB rear derailleur capacity will mean (arguably) a 28t max sprocket).

Sallar55

Veteran
What does 42 and a 9 sprocket give ? Campag have cassettes that end in 9 and 10 tooth sprockets, no need for a big ring. I wonder when triples with close ratio cassettes will be the next must have. Waiting for Stronghlight to make carbon triples (pulsion) again.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So @Sallar55 you are floating the idea of the OP fitting a 13-speed Campagnolo Ekar drivechain (to get the 9sp sprocket).
Bike is a Genesis-equilibrium
Apart from cost (cassette alone is £200), the OLD of the drop outs needed is 142.5mm (the OP's bike has 130mm).
Triples with close ratio cassettes either can't give a short enough low gear, or can't offer a long enough high gear (or both) so I very much doubt it will be the "next must have".

Sallar55

Veteran
All depends upon your riding style. Do you struggle up the hills and try to make time back on the descents, that way you are always working. The other strategy is to attack the hill and drink,eat ,recover while conserving energy on the descent. You pick the gearing for what suits you. I like triples as it's easy to set the gearing you like. Single chainring with 13 is nice as well, will Shimano go better next.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
When I build the bike back I'm thinking of going for a triple or maybe a 42 32 chainset any suggestions?
I run sub-compact chainrings (48/32) on two of my road bikes with 11-32 or 11-34 cassettes. Occasionally run out out leg speed when in 48:11, but by then I'm usually considering freewheeling.
My other bike is a Kinesis At, which has 1x gearing 40T chainring and 11-42 cassette. I'd be happy to use it on a century ride, but might consider fitting the 35mm Voyager Hypers rather then the 38mm GavelKing SK tyres.

OP
OP
TAV

TAV

Guru
I run sub-compact chainrings (48/32) on two of my road bikes with 11-32 or 11-34 cassettes. Occasionally run out out leg speed when in 48:11, but by then I'm usually considering freewheeling.
My other bike is a Kinesis At, which has 1x gearing 40T chainring and 11-42 cassette. I'd be happy to use it on a century ride, but might consider fitting the 35mm Voyager Hypers rather then the 38mm GavelKing SK tyres.

I've got a gravel bike/ touring bike but I fancy going back to audaxs but I think it wouldn't be rite with the large 47mm tyres and if I put say 32mm on there I think it would look odd with a massive gaping the folks.

Attachments

• IMG-20221016-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20221016-WA0018.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 8

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I've got 650b wheels and I can't find any narrower than 40mm which I think is to big and tubless I've got on at the moment I'm not sure.

Depends on the tyres but there are some tyres that width in 650b just as quick a narrower tyres on 700c. A friend does audax on that kind of width 650b.

Jameshow

Veteran
I've got a gravel bike/ touring bike but I fancy going back to audaxs but I think it wouldn't be rite with the large 47mm tyres and if I put say 32mm on there I think it would look odd with a massive gaping the folks.

More to the point the funny handlebars would cause a few comments!!

Top Bottom