Gravel / CX Bike differences and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
If your defiantly wanting a CX bike, check if you can easily shoulder it, the Carrera you link to has a sharply sloping top tube, it’ll be a bit tight getting it up there if you intend racing on it

vickster

Legendary Member
Don’t think he’s racing just wants drops and fatter tyres to be able ride on and off road.
£200 budget isn’t going to buy a modern bike marketed as gravel even used (esp given where prices are at currently)

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

If your defiantly wanting a CX bike, check if you can easily shoulder it, the Carrera you link to has a sharply sloping top tube, it’ll be a bit tight getting it up there if you intend racing on it

mainly after a CX so that it can be used for gravel tracks etc as well as on the road w slicks. but thanks for pointing that out, will bare in mind if ever I take up racing

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Check his YouTube channel, he’s also does a 1x CX/gravel conversion, which are now fashionable, although that may break your budget, plus you won’t be able to use wider tyres. The hybrid conversion if you just do the basics should give you what you want for a reasonable spend.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Just bear in mind you'll need a smaller framed flat bar if converting to drops (I went the other way drops to flats and the resulting bike was too small for me)

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
.....What exactly are the difference between CX and gravel bikes? Is it literally just that gravel bikes have clearance for mud guards and panniers or is there more to it?....
Yes as you have already assumed a Gravel bike will often set up to be slightly more versatile, in many ways they are like the touring bikes of old, so as you have referenced they will often take pannier racks and mudguards. To accommodate those potential long distance comfortable miles with stability, the latter especially when carrying luggage. It is not just the features that allow these items to be attached; the geometry will often differ.

It is a bit like comparing an 'endurance' bike with more performance focused 'race' bike, a Gravel bike being the former the CX the latter. Comparing geometry between brands will vary but generically it is quite common for the performance bikes to be long and lower interms of reach and drop to the bars, with a steeper headtube angle and shorter wheel base, which may help you achieve the extra mph but at the expense of comfort and stability. I have attached BikeCAD drawings of a Van Nicholas Amazon Cross bike and their Rowtag Gravel bike that may help illustrate this, then added a gif where one morphs into the other that may also help to show the differences.

CX races have become quite popular, but that's not to say that a gravel bike is not a valid consideration, the extra stability can actually appeal especially to a new rider. For example, a few of my friends were national squad CX riders, as you'd expect in comparison to me they were superior athletes, significantly they had vastly superior bike handling skills, so they can handle a less stable bike and go quicker on that than a slower more stable bike, where as that would be vice versa for me, stability may help me stay in control so I'd end up going quicker as a result; 'tortoise and hair'.

Worth noting how much you notice all comparisons will always come down to the perception of each rider, a 'deal breaking difference' to one maybe 'no difference' to another. Subtle differences will also potentially magnify with experience.

At £200.00 unless it's a real 2nd hand bargain I dare say you will not see many CX, nearly all will be Gravel bikes.
540250 Van Nicholas Amazon Cross bike

540251 Rowtag Gravel

Click for Gif

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

Yes as you have already assumed a Gravel bike will often set up to be slightly more versatile, in many ways they are like the touring bikes of old, so as you have referenced they will often take pannier racks and mudguards. To accommodate those potential long distance comfortable miles with stability, the latter especially when carrying luggage. It is not just the features that allow these items to be attached; the geometry will often differ.

It is a bit like comparing an 'endurance' bike with more performance focused 'race' bike, a Gravel bike being the former the CX the latter. Comparing geometry between brands will vary but generically it is quite common for the performance bikes to be long and lower interms of reach and drop to the bars, with a steeper headtube angle and shorter wheel base, which may help you achieve the extra mph but at the expense of comfort and stability. I have attached BikeCAD drawings of a Van Nicholas Amazon Cross bike and their Rowtag Gravel bike that may help illustrate this, then added a gif where one morphs into the other that may also help to show the differences.

CX races have become quite popular, but that's not to say that a gravel bike is not a valid consideration, the extra stability can actually appeal especially to a new rider. For example, a few of my friends were national squad CX riders, as you'd expect in comparison to me they were superior athletes, significantly they had vastly superior bike handling skills, so they can handle a less stable bike and go quicker on that than a slower more stable bike, where as that would be vice versa for me, stability may help me stay in control so I'd end up going quicker as a result; 'tortoise and hair'.

Worth noting how much you notice all comparisons will always come down to the perception of each rider, a 'deal breaking difference' to one maybe 'no difference' to another. Subtle differences will also potentially magnify with experience.

At £200.00 unless it's a real 2nd hand bargain I dare say you will not see many CX, nearly all will be Gravel bikes.
View attachment 540250 Van Nicholas Amazon Cross bike

View attachment 540251 Rowtag Gravel

Click for Gif

Paul, many thanks for Your detailed response. The information you have provided is very interesting and even more so useful to know.

The photos of the bikes and especially the gif showing the transition are great.

Based on your message, a gravel bike definitely appeals more. However, all the gravel bikes I’ve seen are circa £500 at the very least. The only CX bike I’ve seen under £300 is the Specialized Tri Cross.

Do you think the Tri Cross is more racey or endurance/gravel orientated? I have seen a fair few sellers who have got them with mud guards and pannier racks which makes the bike very appealing to me.

OP
OP
F

fortunatemango

I made a gravel bike out of a 90s XC MTB. In fact there is an opinion that 'gravel' bikes are a reinvention of the XC bike, with drops (or even with flats, if Specialized are to be believed).

I have just scrolled through the thread you posted and all I can say is wow! I’m very impressed. The transition and end product is amazing!!

I note that it took you over a year to source parts and do all the research etc. which is probably the biggest throw off for me tbh.

But other than that it is the option that excites me the most without doubt! I can imagine there being a massive sense of accomplishment as well as pride in the bike that you have built yourself.

Also, if you don’t mind me asking, how much did it all cost?

Top Bottom