Gravel Faster than Performance Bike. I don't get it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
HI, I'm not a Elite in any means but somebody that ride 2 or 3 times a week. I have been using a Specialized Diverge Aluminum with Future Shock for the Last 8 Month or So. Today for the First Time I used a Trek domane al4 which is slighly cheaper but Having a 50T Crank instead of 42T in the Diverge, and a slimmer Tires 700x32 vs 700x38c in the Diverge I was expecting going a bit faster in my usual Park Loop (Richmond Park in London) . but instead I was slower for 1 minute. About 4 Days a go I did the same loop in very similar conditions Temp and Wind and as I said I was faster.

My Plan was setup the Diverge with bigger 650 Tyres for more Off Road rydes and keep this Trek for tarmac use. Should I stick with the Diverge or is a matter of Get used to the new setup? Cheers

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Depends what you want from your cycling. If it were me I'd just relax and enjoy the scenery.

dodgy

Depends what you want from your cycling. If it were me I'd just relax and enjoy the scenery.
There are quite a lot of people who enjoy measuring themselves and try to get faster. Not sure how your reply is supposed to be helpful, or maybe you're just trying to impress us with your zen-like attitude to cycling 🤷‍♂️

To the OP, don't compare 2 rides, look for a trend. You'll need to measure yourself over dozens of rides on each bike to determine if one is faster.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed. Richmond Park isn’t a very reliable environment due to other cyclists, traffic, peds, not to mention speed humps, speed limits and the weather. You could try going out at 6am to minimise the impact of others (assuming you don't already)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
4mm in tyre sizes wont make much difference. You've been using one bike for 8 months, and unless you've been very specific setting both up exactly the same geometry etc, you'll have got used to one bike, and the other will be a little slower.

On the flat 52T vs 42T with same gear ratio, 32mm vs 38mm and Domane geometry will be faster if all things remain the same. If for example your seat height on bike 1 is not optimal while bike 2 is, then power projection will be different. If you tend to climb harder but relax on descent, that throws things off with a performance bike.

Richmond Hill KOM is held by a time trialist and not a climber although the max gradient is 7, the average is zero. So performance geometry would benefit.

The above does resonate with your instincts so there is something else in play.

ps. Richmond Hill is where I had my first dropped chain on my first ride as the terrain caught me for six.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Completely OT but Richmond Park and Leith / Box Hill are the 3 things I miss since moving back up north.

More OT, as said in another thread I did a PB up a hill recently I have done 30 odd times, and beat my carbon Dolan's 2 yr old PB time on my old Aluminium Cannondale Synapse. Some days you are stronger than others.

Give those routes a fair few goes and see how the "better" bike does.

Some interesting MCN videos showing that smaller tires are not faster..

In the time trial world its the rider that makes most of the difference, position on the bike (ie aero bars) , clothing. Best bang for the buck? Shoe covers!..... and rider power output.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Some interesting MCN videos showing that smaller tires are not faster..

In the time trial world its the rider that makes most of the difference, position on the bike (ie aero bars) , clothing. Best bang for the buck? Shoe covers!..... and rider power output.

Pretty sure it's bolt-on aero bars. I got +2mph for £55 :laugh:

Top Bottom