Gravel/Hybrid Bike on budget! Chepo new vs used + some new parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Giant 's Liv brand specific for women made a lot of difference for women who typically have smaller hands when they included it. The standard drop bar including the compact is difficult. The shim does not do much.

One of UK cycling women Youtuber who now works for Ribble picked her first bike which was a Liv with cross levers which gave her confidence.

More importantly I think it is also a safety issue for those with small hands.

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
I'd echo this from my GF's experience of cross tops on her gravel bike and switching between that and a road bike with no cross tops, no issues. I also fitted microshift R10 short reach brifters to her gravel bike, which help for small hands.

The OP might well have a look Isla bike Luarth, that is their gravel bike designed for kids, so accommodate small hands etc. the largest kids size with 700c wheels is ideal for smaller adult ladies. 2nd hand market worth looking at too, they hold their value very well if you decide to sell on. plenty of clearance for 35 mm cx / gravel tyres too.
I like that Isla, but 26'' might be slower ? I just noticed the bike is available in March 2022... I'm not that patient :laugh:

@ms.hyde whichever bike you chose may I add a word of caution re using cross levers on drop bars, I do appreciate it's each to their own. Something like 20 years ago I was knocked off my bike resulting in a broken hand and damage to the tendon which runs from the base of the thumb across the palm. I wasn't able to use the brakes on my drops for six months. My LBS fitted cross levers which worked well and I quickly got used to them. The difficulty came when we removed the levers. I had learned to reach for these brakes and it took me a considerable time to unlearn using them.

In my view having both cross and standard levers on a drop bar has the potential to confuse the rider, especially in an emergency stop. Reaction time is important and the brain needs to know what to do automatically rather than deciding which levers to grab!!

I would agree with you re 32mm tyres, I ride 35mm on my gravel bike, though I regularly ride with a friend who comfortably uses 28s. The towpaths I know round Manchester are mainly wide and well surfaced and OK for 28s but there are cobbled sections, for example, which I think would be tricky.

Up here the towpaths are generally narrower, can be muddy and I know three people who've fallen in......all riding unsuitable 28mm tyres.

On my 35s I feel confident, I'm sure 32s would be the same but I'd be very wary of 28mm on many of our local towpaths.
Funny thing is I actually damaged my tendon same way - from the thumb cross the palm few years back, but not on a bike. It does heel a long time, and it's a pain in the back!

I’ve never had an issue with crosslevers nor the two friends I ride with. With smaller hands, we all find them safer for braking and they are the default for us so no issue in an e. Even with shims, more small hand friendly Sram hoods it can be hard to get enough purchase and power. And I’m not a petite woman like the OP.

None of the manufacturers have yet bothered to design mainstream brifters for smaller hands. I think Microshift may offer something for kids but they’re not standard on adult models.

As a bloke ymmv, I was just giving the OP a suggestion.

It looks like either bike I would choose I would need to make some mods :
- with Specialized it would be adding some bar ends so I can at least change the hands position
- with Merlin crosslevers

Both of those won't brake a bank.
I also called Specialized concept store and Merlin this morning to make sure both bikes are in the stock.
There's just 3 Specialized left in my size and a ton of Merlins ( it seems they've only started selling this years model few days ago?) so I don't need to feel very rushed with a decision.

I'm leaning towards Specialized with bar ends, as flat bars scream comfort and it could take more off a beating.

If anyone makes a comment that a woman is a indecisive creature, well they're right :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Indecision is fine as long as you don’t miss out. Important to get a bike you’re happy with and comfortable on. Try to get a test ride on both if you can :okay:

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
The thing is I really can't. Merlin is closed on weekends and I can't take a time off right now at work.
I might just get the Specialized and fit in end bars and maybe even aero bars for speed if it would help with speed

vickster

Legendary Member
Speed isn't a priority on gravel, grip and safety is.
If it's going to be ridden at speed on roads, consider getting a second set of lighter higher quality slicker tyres as knobbly gravel tyres are slower on roads :okay: (although many UK roads are rougher than tracks :wacko:)

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
Speed isn't a priority on gravel, grip and safety is.
If it's going to be ridden at speed on roads, consider getting a second set of lighter higher quality slicker tyres as knobbly gravel tyres are slower on roads :okay: (although many UK roads are rougher than tracks :wacko:)

Basically 3 times a week I need to get to work, it's 26 miles both ways, so it's no that bad, it's mostly road, and 8 miles on trail:
50268950686_70d56702e3_o.jpg

50269119617_4608652875_o.jpg

But on the weekends I will probably stay on trails like that, I really want to travel around the area, go back to cycling, not just commute!
That's why I'm not sure if Merlin will be strong enough and I will be able to learn to maneuver it well on narrow paths with drop bars.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Merlin bike will be perfect, why don’t you think it will be (and the Specialized will?)
Drop bars are in my experience better on narrow places and in traffic…because they’re much narrower!
If you do go for drops, check the bars are the right width for you, on an XS frame they should be a 38/40 which could be ok, but check (I always have to get narrower bars on my bikes, but I’m 5’10 and buy M/54cm men’s bikes and they fit a 42/44 as standard, too wide for me)

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
I don't know my previous bikes were either full suspension or had a 160mm fork on the front ^_^
It just looks delicate comparing to Sirrus? I don't know, I'm probably being weird :smile:
In the worst case I can buy a a different handle bar if I need it to be wider or the other way.

Update:
I called Merlin and they said I can return a bike if I only try it at home on a clean surface.
So maybe I should order, and in the worst case if I really don't feel it return it and get the specialized.

T4tomo

Guru
I like that Isla, but 26'' might be slower ? I just noticed the bike is available in March 2022... I'm not that patient :laugh:
the smaller one has 26" wheels the larger (more suitable for small adult is 700c size. neither will be faster or slower than the other, just slightly different!
I was suggesting looking on ebay etc 2nd hand for an Isla.

in general terms, it wont take you long to get used to drop bars and they are inherently more comfortable given the variety of hand positions naturally available, although bar ends do give you some choice like that. you are also more aerodynamic as your arms aren't stretched out wide making a larger frontal area like you are with flat bars.

I'm leaning towards Specialized with bar ends, as flat bars scream comfort and it could take more off a beating.
A flat more bike is not inherently stronger than a drop bar bike. Its just the bars are shaped differently.

the Merlin own brand does look good value

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
the smaller one has 26" wheels the larger (more suitable for small adult is 700c size. neither will be faster or slower than the other, just slightly different!
I was suggesting looking on ebay etc 2nd hand for an Isla.

in general terms, it wont take you long to get used to drop bars and they are inherently more comfortable given the variety of hand positions naturally available, although bar ends do give you some choice like that. you are also more aerodynamic as your arms aren't stretched out wide making a larger frontal area like you are with flat bars.

A flat more bike is not inherently stronger than a drop bar bike. Its just the bars are shaped differently.

the Merlin own brand does look good value

Anytime I decide for one time or another someone changes my mind :laugh:
It seems I should pick Merlin.

Like I mentioned before, they said I can return it in worst case, so I should give it a try.

I’ll let You guys now what I ordered.
Thank You so much for helping out ^_^

Sirrus has flat bars not drops.
Triban is Decathlon’s in house brand, a massive French sporting goods brand, all over the world.
Have a look at the reviews of the RC Tribans there are lots of reports around the wheels and taking the tyres off to fix punctures.
Many roadbikes won’t take gravel wide tyres so that may be a non starter, there’s often not clearance in the frame especially if you want mudguards.
There’s a global shortage of bikes, small ladies gravel bikes are rare beasts anyhow, used prices are high so you’re going to be very short on choice unless you can find some more cash.
Planet X make a bike called the London Road, the alu option is around £800 and might be available in an XS frame. Pinnacle at Evans can be good value too and worth a look.
At £650 max though, you’re going to struggle. You might have more luck with a flatbar option, the parts are cheaper
Seen pics on triban forum of the 120 running gravel 38s

vickster

Legendary Member
She’ll be commuting a fair distance in the Manchester area (where it rains occasionally I believe) so the ability to fit mudguards might restrict tyre width (rack mounts useful too)

Reactions: C R

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Basically 3 times a week I need to get to work, it's 26 miles both ways, so it's no that bad, it's mostly road, and 8 miles on trail:
View attachment 607904
View attachment 607905

But on the weekends I will probably stay on trails like that, I really want to travel around the area, go back to cycling, not just commute!
That's why I'm not sure if Merlin will be strong enough and I will be able to learn to maneuver it well on narrow paths with drop bars.
I ride Schwalbe G-one Allround. If you chose these or similar you will have tyres which are equally at home on these surfaces and tarmac.

Is the first image Borsdane Wood by chance?

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
I ride Schwalbe G-one Allround. If you chose these or similar you will have tires which are equally at home on these surfaces and tarmac.

Is the first image Borsdane Wood by chance?

Thanks, looks like a good price for those tires as well.
Noo that's somewhere in birchwood.

I've just been to decathlon so I can actually ride bikes with drop bars (they got a big stores so I was actually able to ride, not like in tiny evans store.
I even liked their Triban RC 120 :smile: Shame they don't have the gravel Tribans anymore, I even looked at this:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cycle-touring-road-bike-rc500-disc-brake/_/R-p-308097
650 for a sora is not bad, but I recon throwin a 38 tyre won't exactly make it a gravel bike and Merlin is a better choice?

So I think I'll be ordering Merlin Malt G2 Claris, unless I find something nice on ebay, but so far no luck. I want to order tomorrow so I'll get the bike on weekend :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom