Gravel/Hybrid Bike on budget! Chepo new vs used + some new parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, looks like a good price for those tyres as well.

I've just been to decathlon so I can actually ride bikes with drop bars (they got a big stores so I was actually able to ride, not like in tiny evans store.
I even liked thier Triban RC 120 :smile: Shame they don't have the gravel Tribans anymore.
So I think I'll be ordering Merlin Malt G2 Claris, unless I find something nice on ebay, but so far no luck. I want to order tommorow so I'll get the bike on weekend :smile:
Triban will take gravel tyre- panaracer 35
1630957964051.png

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
Triban will take gravel tyre- panaracer 35

Thanks!

I'm really wondering, because it seemed pretty good, at least those two I tested and I won't be able to test Merlin, just got to order it

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
Where do the mudguards go?
The Malt has disc brakes which might be good for all weather commuting, and mudguards compatible
Ah yes mudguards, I forgot :blink: I would be covered in mud when it starts raining, not the best look coming in to the office in the morning :laugh:

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
Also a question.
If I would want to upgrade/convert from Claris 2x8 to a 1x10 or 1x11 in the future?
Would I mess up the bike if I would frankenstein cranks to make it a 40T 1x8 ?
( I hate the idea of 2x and always had 1x)

adamhearn

Veteran
What do you think you'll be achieving by converting to a 1x drivetrain? Following the trend will for the most part be uneconomical/not bring huge benefits.

Buy the Merlin.

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
I ordered the Merlin! I hope it feels great.
Just got to get used to different sprocket and get some small bits to make it a bit more colorful:laugh:

Thank You everyone for help ❤

vickster

Legendary Member
Just got to get used to different sprocket and get some small bits to make it a bit more colorful:laugh:

Thank You everyone for help ❤
Cycology do some super jazzy bartape
https://www.cycologygear.co.uk/collections/bartape :okay:
The Malt is black and grey so the world is your lobster colour wise :becool:

Merlin have Supacaz in lots of bright colours on special...I'm sure they'd rewrap the bars before delivery if you ask them?
https://www.merlincycles.com/supacaz-super-sticky-kush-bar-tape-120369.html

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've just been to decathlon so I can actually ride bikes with drop bars (they got a big stores so I was actually able to ride, not like in tiny evans store.
I even liked their Triban RC 120 :smile: Shame they don't have the gravel Tribans anymore, I even looked at this:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cycle-touring-road-bike-rc500-disc-brake/_/R-p-308097
650 for a sora is not bad, but I recon throwin a 38 tyre won't exactly make it a gravel bike and Merlin is a better choice?

Well it sort of would, a "gravel" bike is really a touring bike with clearance for fatter tyres. But then its not £650, its £720+ to factor in decent gravel tyres, and with 35mm tyres in there , you might not have clearance for mudguards.

all you gain over the malt is 9 gears vs 8, which you wouldn't notice in practice.

Where do the mudguards go?
attached to the mudguard mounts - the triban linked by the OP has rack and mudguard mounts

I am sure you will love it.

OP
OP
ms.hyde

ms.hyde

Regular
Got my Merlin yday!
I added some colour, just got to get some mud guards and proper lights :smile:

104EFB13-9CE7-4686-8288-A1E3C5211394.jpeg

I’ve only did few miles so far, the rain was too crazy!
I’m really happy with it, just had to regulate the brakes and the reach… Brakes were barely braking, but probably becausew it’s all new ?

Thank You all for helping out ^_^

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Got my Merlin yday!

View attachment 608489
I’m really happy with it, just had to regulate the brakes and the reach… Brakes were barely braking, but probably becausew it’s all new ?

Wow that saddle is low.........is it the right size??

Reactions: C R

adamhearn

Veteran
Got my Merlin yday!

View attachment 608489

Well done you! Looks nice (though the pedal are an acquired aesthetic I'd say :blush:^_^:laugh:)

Forgive me for asking but the saddle looks very low?!

Top Bottom