Gravel riders beware ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
I’m pretty sure they’ll only be interested if someone gets injured.

There is a very quiet, narrow lane on one of my local routes. There’s a farmer who runs a silver wire just above handlebar height across the lane when he’s moving cows from a field on one side of the lane to another opposite. And then just leaves it there. Problem is it’s grey galvanised - same colour as the tarmac - and you can’t see it, especially in the sun with shades on. Nearly came a cropper once.

Tried to locate which farmer it was but no luck so rang 101. Police handler was very concerned as initially he thought I’d been injured but when I clarified I hadn’t but it was a really close call - he lost all interest, despite me explaining what a danger it was.

Next day, same time same thing and still couldn’t find the farmer. So I rode home, cut up some bright coloured rags into strips and went back and tied them across the wire to warn others.

Next day, wire was back up and the strips of rag had been removed. I gave up. Police could have sorted that with a quick word but will only obviously take action when some poor soul ends up in A&E.
Leave a note on the wire to Say if they keep leaving it across the lane and/or remove the rags then it will be cut, and then take wire cutters out with you.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not sure a plank of wood buried and disguised with 200 up facing nails is an interesting trail feature.

No mention of anything so vicious in the news article.

"Items found in recent weeks include large rocks moved out of position, pins dropped on the road and branches arranged at head height across paths."

Jody

Stubborn git
No mention of anything so vicious in the news article.

"Items found in recent weeks include large rocks moved out of position, pins dropped on the road and branches arranged at head height across paths."

Last line in the article. I saw the pictures of it on Facebook when found and it was quite a vicious trap and well hidden.

"Traps have also been found at mountain biking trails elsewhere in the UK, including a plank of wood with 200 nails embedded in it, found in a forest path in Wales."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48934070

Capture.JPG

pawl

Legendary Member
I’m pretty sure they’ll only be interested if someone gets injured.

There is a very quiet, narrow lane on one of my local routes. There’s a farmer who runs a silver wire just above handlebar height across the lane when he’s moving cows from a field on one side of the lane to another opposite. And then just leaves it there. Problem is it’s grey galvanised - same colour as the tarmac - and you can’t see it, especially in the sun with shades on. Nearly came a cropper once.

Tried to locate which farmer it was but no luck so rang 101. Police handler was very concerned as initially he thought I’d been injured but when I clarified I hadn’t but it was a really close call - he lost all interest, despite me explaining what a danger it was.

Next day, same time same thing and still couldn’t find the farmer. So I rode home, cut up some bright coloured rags into strips and went back and tied them across the wire to warn others.

Next day, wire was back up and the strips of rag had been removed. I gave up. Police could have sorted that with a quick word but will only obviously take action when some poor soul ends up in A&E.

Take a pair of wire cutters with you chop it into small pieces.Take the bits home with you don’t leave it near by.The plod will nab for littering.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Ms. Tieneke Kraal, of British Columbia, could tell you about that one.
https://gearjunkie.com/bike-path-nail-snare-spike
Here's some advice, if you find a booby trap.
https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-trails/deal-bike-trail-booby-trap/

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Last line in the article. I saw the pictures of it on Facebook when found and it was quite a vicious trap and well hidden.

"Traps have also been found at mountain biking trails elsewhere in the UK, including a plank of wood with 200 nails embedded in it, found in a forest path in Wales."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48934070

View attachment 475730
that was found on a trail no more than 4 miles from were i live and were i sometimes walk my dog.........its on the tumble, which was used for the velothon and for the british tour in recent years.....

Jody

Stubborn git
that was found on a trail no more than 4 miles from were i live and were i sometimes walk my dog.........its on the tumble, which was used for the velothon and for the british tour in recent years.....

It's awful what some people will do. Is it a popular cheeky trail for MTBers?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It's awful what some people will do. Is it a popular cheeky trail for MTBers?
its not a cheeky trail.....its one thats been used for years and years, by mtb, walkers, hikers and the like

Top Bottom