Great News! From boor to bore! The yob DJ whose downfall proves no one likes a bully...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Finally, finally, finally, the BBC have seen fit to rid the taxpayers of that wnaker Moyles. I might organise a small celebration ....

Fifteen years ago Chris Moyles claimed: ‘I’m the saviour of Radio 1.’
Finally, he may have fulfilled his own prophecy — by quitting. His departure marks the end of the most unpleasant episode in the 45-year history of the BBC’s biggest radio station.
Moyles is a professional bully.
To have granted him a platform — and a publicly funded salary of half-a-million pounds a year — for so long is a travesty.
Sexism, gay-baiting, crudery and bragging have been his stock-in-trade for 15 years, as he dragged the station from new low to new low.
His unfailing ability to identify and pick on a soft target would turn the stomach at any time of day, let alone over toast and cornflakes.
All women were ‘dirty whores’, he declared in January 2006 after claiming that many women urinated in the shower. This was misogyny bordering on the pathological.
Ofcom, the media regulator, threatened action, and the BBC duly warned they would fine him . . . if it happened again.
He was let off with little more than a slap on the wrist and got away with the time-honoured defence — ‘it was all a joke’.
But Moyles deliberately engineered that crass, sexist episode.
He had asked female listeners to text him if they ever took a pee while showering — that’s what lawyers call a leading question.
In another outburst, he announced that Polish women excelled at prostitution.

Chris Moyles claimed he was the savior of Radio 1

The BBC Radio 1 Chris Moyles Breakfast Team. Nick Grimshaw will now be replacing Chris Moyles, picture centre front
He fondled former Spice Girl Mel B’s breasts on air, describing them to an audience of nine million that included nearly two million under-14s.
His party trick is to ask women callers to reveal their bra size.

More...

He made an enemy of Oscar-winning actress Halle Berry ,who accused him of a ‘racist moment’ when he impersonated a ‘big, fat, black guy’. He responded that she should ‘get over herself’.
Often the comments are brazenly personal. He called glamour model Jodie Marsh ‘a slag’ and ‘a slapper’; the Celebrity Big Brother contestant Faria Alam was ‘a tart with a fat a***’.

Actress Halle Berry accused the Radio 1 DJ of racism
These are not isolated examples — listeners can hear similar fare every week.
His immersion in lad culture is not a pose.
In August 2010, Moyles told his girlfriend of eight years, Sophie Waite, he was not ready for marriage, and dumped her.
It seemed her desire for a family sparked the split: the 38-year-old DJ has told listeners he is ‘too selfish’ to want children.
Homophobic bullying is another speciality.
Ofcom censured him again in 2009 for singing spoof lyrics in an effeminate voice to Will Young’s Evergreen and Leave Right Now.
This wasn’t a short outburst. It went on and on: ‘I’m the gayest fella you probably know. Mmm, I like to wear a silly hat, I get camper by the hour, oh would you look at the muck in here. I’m Will Young and I’m gay,’ ran one section.
Stonewall, the charity which campaigns to make life safer for young gay people, named Moyles ‘Bully of the Year’, and called for his dismissal. Moyles shrugged it off. His favourite rebuttal of any criticism is: ‘That’s so old hat. It’s boring.’
Moyles surrounds himself with sycophants, including his producer Aled Haydn Jones and Director of Comedy Dave Vitty, or ‘Comedy Dave’.

He shares that instinct with the school thug who gathers a clique of toadies to tell him how wonderful he is.
Listening to Moyles at breakfast is like being stuck on a school bus with the swaggering bigmouth of the fourth form and his gang terrorising juniors, while timid teaching assistant Mr Ofcom fails to keep order.

Moyles claimed on air that all women are 'dirty whores'
No one makes me listen to Moyles, of course. There’s the self-deprecating wit of Chris Evans on Radio 2 or the testy grumbling of John Humphrys on the Today programme.
But I’m of a generation to which Radio 1 meant something: the sound of enthusiasm.
Naive, perhaps ridiculous, but real, raw, youthful enthusiasm for pop can be inexpressibly joyful, a great start to the day.
It’s what Radio 1 was created for. And it grieves me that this legacy seems to mean nothing to the BBC.
Radio 1 was born on the high seas of idealism and outlaw heroics of pirate radio ships.
Since the state broadcaster refused to play non-stop pop, independent stations sprang up, operating from ships anchored beyond the reach of British law.
This was the Sixties, and the greatest outpouring of popular song in the history of music.
The DJs endured life on the ships, often cold, wet and at risk of raids and arrest, because they were passionate.
The BBC caved in and, in 1967, launched a channel dedicated to the new sound — Radio 1.

Chris Moyles, pictured left after the announcement this week, will be replaced by fellow Radio 1 DJ Nick Grimshaw, pictured right
Chris Moyles doesn’t even pretend to care about music.
His favourite subject is himself.
After he won a second Sony award in 2008, he spent the first 21 minutes of his show the next day telling listeners how magnificent he was.
Veteran broadcasters saw through him.
John Peel, one of the original Radio 1 DJs and a former Radio London pirate, caustically referred to him as a ‘DLT-in-waiting’ — a reference to Dave Lee Travis, a man with a reputation for enjoying the sound of his own voice too much.
Moyles’s retort was vicious: Peel was a ‘Kenny-Everett-in-waiting’, because Everett was dead and Peel probably would be soon, too.
Another presenter and one of the most knowledgable musicologists in the country, Radio 2’s Paul Gambaccini, said in 2009: ‘I find his continual presence on Radio 1 unacceptable.
'Chris Moyles should be gone . . . picking on people because of their sexuality is not appropriate to broadcasting.’
Gambaccini also condemned comments Moyles made about Auschwitz.
Moyles had claimed well-known descendants of Jewish families slaughtered in the concentration camps were visiting the site as a stop-off en route to holidays in Florida.
Keeping this obnoxious voice on the air risked everything the BBC should stand for, Gambaccini insisted.

Chris Moyles poses with his award for Best Radio Programme after the Television and Radio Industries Club Awards 2010 held at The Grosvenor House Hotel

But in the end, it was not these warnings that swayed the new controller of Radio 1, Ben Cooper. What counted were the audience figures.
According to the Radio Joint Audience Research group, Moyles lost 470,000 listeners in the 12 months to May 2012.
That’s not a blip: it’s an irreversible downturn.
The great plebian of Great Portland Street, where Radio 1 has its studios, has lost his appeal. However hard he tries to shock, he has become boring.
He's even made 'jokes' about Auschwitz
And that is to the listeners’ credit. Young Brits want pop, played by someone who cares about it — a DJ in the best tradition of the station.
Moyles’s replacement in September will be Nick Grimshaw, a 27-year-old fervent music fan whose current show (in John Peel’s old slot) is working through tracks from the 1,000 albums that Grimshaw regards the most influential ever recorded.
He has reached Radiohead’s Amnesiac, at No. 400 — the night before it was Miles Davis’s seminal jazz LP, Kind Of Blue.
It’s no coincidence either that as Moyles’s fanbase ebbs away, Chris Evans has attracted a million new listeners in the past year.
The man who faced the seemingly impossible task of following Terry Wogan on Radio 2’s breakfast duty has won over the nation. He has an infallible ear for classic pop, a distinctive voice that is lively without grating, and a line in genuinely funny jokes.
Best of all, he is inventive.
The bizarre links, the flights of fancy, the banter, the rants, the moments of emotional candour — it makes entertaining and intimate listening.
Evans’s style has been evolving for 20 years, through a very public series of high-pressure jobs, business gambles and humiliations, not to mention a private life that was rarely out of the tabloids for more than a decade.
Chris Evans has grown into the country’s best-loved radio presenter.
And that’s a transition which, even by the most dramatic leap of any fan’s imagination, Chris Moyles will never be able to make.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?searchPhrase=chris moyles

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You don't like him then FF?

Must admit, I have never heard his radio show. But from what you posted above he seem's a complete idiot who shouldn't be allowed to spout his nonsense on a public platform.

TVC

The bad news of course is that he's still contracted to the BBC, so we've certainly not heard the last of him. Unfortunately I have to listen to him most mornings at work because he's the choice of the younger members of my team, and the thing that winds me up the most is the repetition and endless time filling.

I've heard the new guy a couple of times, he seems OK, and I'm hoping for a return to a music led format in the morning show.

Steve H

Large Member
Wow - you really don't like him do you? Nothing I could come up with you is going to change your mind.

Personally, I quite liked him. Listened most days of the week and most days he made me chuckle. Some days weren't quite to my liking and I switched over, but I always switched on again the next day.

Like him or hate him - he has been the longest serving breakfast show host with many millions of listeners and that is tough to argue against. Although you've had a pretty good stab at it!!!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

The bad news of course is that he's still contracted to the BBC, so we've certainly not heard the last of him. Unfortunately I have to listen to him most mornings at work because he's the choice of the younger members of my team, and the thing that winds me up the most is the repetition and endless time filling.

I've heard the new guy a couple of times, he seems OK, and I'm hoping for a return to a music led format in the morning show.
This. Certainly some music would be better than his endless inane drivel.
Instead of sorting his BBC contract I'd happily take out a contract on him, in fact, I'd be happy to terminate him myself for free*

*of course it's only a joke ....

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Wow - you really don't like him do you? Nothing I could come up with you is going to change your mind.
Like him or hate him - he has been the longest serving breakfast show host with many millions of listeners and that is tough to argue against. Although you've had a pretty good stab at it!!!

Nope nothing you could say. Being long-running as an accolade is like The Sun being the best selling daily paper - it's meaningless in this context as they're still sh1te.

Top Bottom